The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel bandwidth monitor broken?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trakwebster, Mar 25, 2003.

1. trakwebster

trakwebster Well-Known Member

Recently I had a hard disk which died, though fortunately I had a full mirror backup on a second drive. I was able to restore (all except /mnt, /proc, /dev) easily enough. However, on that same day, the ISP chose to handle all my tickets and upgraded kernal, cpanel, mysql, and openssh. It would have been clearer if all these changes had not been made, but they were.

In my cron table, there is a (cpanel-generated) table called bandmin. I think bdraco on this forum wrote it. It is some sort of bandwidth monitor, and is set to run two minutes before, and two minutes after, each hour.

It doesn't run any more.

Cron passes me the error messages. The error messages say --

modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables
    iptables v1.2.5: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

On the surface, it appears that the module ip_tables is missing, and/or the table named 'filter'. But how do they normally get placed where they are supposed to be? What does 'do you need to insmod' mean?

And, what do I need to do to fix this broken thing?

2. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

the short version to your question is that your isp by upgrading your kernel, broke iptables, which is the firewalling software that bandmin uses

I'm sure there's a more lenghty explanation

3. Sash

Sash Well-Known Member

Did you ever fix the problem? We've encountered it as well.

Mike

4. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Login as root to the server and type
    iptables -L

If you get an error as I suspect you will then your kernel was compiled without support for iptables. Basically iptables is what allows the system to log bandwidth, so you would have to go with some monitor that uses system logs.

You may email whomever upgraded the kernel and ask them why you do not have iptables support anymore. Hopefully you will be able to get them to fix the error (and recompile the kernel).

I have not personally had this problem, but it sounds like they did not setup the kernel correctly...

5. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

you might be able to avoid a recompile if you change your kernel config then just 'make modules; makes modules_install' and then depmod -a and insmod the iptables modules.

can't recall I've ever tried it this way, but good luck ;)