The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel branding?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CowgirlXpresion, Aug 11, 2004.

1. CowgirlXpresion

CowgirlXpresion Registered

I have a reseller account and my host uses WHM for that, and all my sub accounts have cPanel installed. I wanted to customize one theme for my clients, so I have spent several hours working on some new images for my X theme so that I could do cpanel branding. I made sure to get all the dimensions correct and created on and off images for the home and logout icons. I am happy with what I created and went to the WHM branding section and started uploading all the corrosponding files for my X theme branding. Well to my suprise, there is nothing available for editing the two images/icons in the top right corner (home and logout)... what's the deal with that? How do I upload my images? Is it even possible?

Another thing I wonder about -- we can do all this cpanel branding with uploading our own images and such, but is there a way to edit the css file used? (if there is one) for things such as basic font colors and background colors (etc)...?

Thanks....
    Cowgirl Expressions

Attached Files:

• ss1.jpg
      File size:
      32.9 KB
      Views:
  2. CowgirlXpresion

:confused: bump -- anybody?

3. digitalretouch2

digitalretouch2 Registered

Me too - similar question

I too, have just spent a lot of time creating a mockup with the right dimensions and created a custom banner for my small hosting company, only to find out that the image for the table background which is green isn't one of the choices of images you can upload. So if I can't replace it, the far right corner (the slimmest slice) just shows up as the default green background file which is named something like top_02_bg_b.gif.

How is this allowing you to brand if you can only complete 90% of the branding?

Also, I wonder as well as Cowgirl does, how do you change the CSS. I went about doing that and then got stumped at the end when again, it's not a choice for uploading. It seems a little bit mean to me to suggest that we can brand at all and then leave us hanging.

It's pretty suspicious that I found NOTHING on the web to help me w/this at all - not a single article, which suggests that maybe the cpanel company isn't as friendly about this as they pretend to be?

Any word from the official people?

4. digitalretouch2

An answer, I think

Hi cowgirl,

Although nobody has replied, I think the answer is that you just ftp the files to a folder called cpanelbranding (it's really similar to that, I don't have it open right now, but it'll be close) and go to the subfolder of the theme you've created and ftp the 4 pics you need for the on and off versions and upload them. Although the WHM/cpanel branding interface doesn't give you a choice to upload it from the branding page, you can always upload it to your WHM by FTP yourself. This works as well for the style.css file too I think.

Tell me if it works out for you.

5. CowgirlXpresion

Didn't work....

I tried doing as you suggested and just upload the images (correct image names) into the correct directory, and it doesn't seem to work.... the images didn't change, even when I shift+refreshed...

I really wish some of the cpanel people would answer this thread! I have seen one or two other threads that asked the same question that had never been answered when I searched for the answer............... :eek:

6. CowgirlXpresion

More info

I started looking at the directories I have in my reseller account and the location of these files... apparently, the branding images have been uploaded into (the x folder in) '/cpanelbranding/' on my root reseller dir. The 4 images in question (home on/off and logout on/off) do not reside there. When viewing location in the browser, they are listed as domainname.com:2082/frontend/x/images/imagename.gif ... well the rest, that have been uploaded via the branding thing, are located at domainname.com:2082/branding/x/imagename.gif .... When I ftp into my account, the dirs I have are: cpanel3-skel, cpanelbranding, etc, images, mail, public_ftp, public_html, tmp, www. So what directory would I use to upload these 4 images if they need to be in "frontend"???

7. digitalretouch2

Another thought

The CSS thing only half worked. I could change the colors of the boxes on the page, but the scrollbars must have conflicting css instructions from another style sheet that's not style.css.

Probably the only way to get to that directory you spoke of is to see if your reseller provider will give you root directory access of SSH maybe. Usually they will if you fax them a copy of your drivers' license or something like that - they try to protect their directories from phreakers, spammers, hackers and the like, and it's less likely someone will abuse it if you have all their official information.

Keep me updated cowgirl.

8. checksoft

checksoft Well-Known Member

Try uploading directly to the frontend folder:
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/x/images/

That should do it. Please let me know how it goes.

9. __DoPe_ShOw__

__DoPe_ShOw__ Well-Known Member

The only way I see that it can be done is to upload the files in your FTP folder, if you have SSH you can login, you'll need root priv's from here on out. Use the command

mv /home/username/path/to/file /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/x/images/

The files should be moved into there but I don't know if it will change all the images for ALL cpanels or not. I would just make a copy of the theme, set it on your computer and change the images there then upload the tar.gz or whutever you name it as through WHM and add the skin back. Under a different name ofcourse. If you want, I can attempt this for you if you get the SSH abilities. That may cause a security risk though so try doing whut I said. If I wasn't explaining it right, please tell me. I'm a terrible instruction giver... Blah...

Edit: The steps above would install a new skin server wide for ALL users to use. I don't know if this is an option that you want to use but it seems like its the only way to sucessfully change the home and logout buttons...

#9 __DoPe_ShOw__, Sep 14, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  10. 'PG

'PG Registered

Sorry to ressurect an old thread like this. I'm attempting to change the color of the boxes down the left hand side of the cpanel 'x' theme.

From what I gather, these boxes are styled by the css classes 'index1' and 'index2'. I have made a css file with definitions from index1 and index2, called it 'style.css' and placed this in my /cpanelbranding/x/ directory. The presence of the css file here has done nothing.

Any advice on what I am doing wrong?

11. 'PG

'PG Registered

No one has successfully replaced the style.css file like the poster above?

12. ujr

ujr Well-Known Member

a key thing to remember is that after uploading your images to the folder specified above, remember to reset the default in WHM by clicking the Make Default button for each skin you need those images on....

hope this helps

13. MYIGIS

MYIGIS Registered

I'd recommend using RVSkins http://www.rvskin.com more choice and extremely customisable.

I have no affiliation to RVSkins other than being a very satisfied customer.

MYIGIS