The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel bug affecting domain names with a hyphen in them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DocBilly, Apr 24, 2010.

1. DocBilly

DocBilly Registered

Hi - has anyone had problems recently with domain names with hyphens in them causing problems in the 'Latest Visitors' area of cPanel?
    I have an addon domain where every single image file goes to a 404 message when clicked in 'Latest Visitors' stats, instead of going to the particular graphic element on my addon site. Also when any Googlebot visit url link is clicked which shows in 'Latest Visitors' it goes to the home page of my primary account domain, not to the relevant addon domain page.
    My UK hosting company teccies looked into the matter for some time and eventually sussed out it's due to a bug in the current version of cPanel - I have about 20 addon domains and they are all behaving correctly in 'Latest Visitors', apart from the problem addon domain with a hyphen in the name, and one other site - which, guess what, has a hyphen in it too.
    My hosting company's technical support people have since contacted the engineers at cPanel who have now confirmed there is a bug and have sent the matter to their developers - they have given no time estimate for a fix.
    I thought it may have been a problem just affecting my cPanel but I'm told that's not the case but '...all other users with a domain having "-" in it are affected with the current release of Cpanel'.
    I don't have enough technical knowledge to know if this can impact on my site ranking etc - but oddly one of my two addon domain with a hyphen in it has vanished without trace in the last week in Google, despite having been at position 2 in Google for the last eight months for its main keyword. It's still indexed but not showing in search results.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. DocBilly

DocBilly Registered

Hi - thanks for that. I don't think it is the same scenario but I'll pass the info over to my hosting technical support anyway - much appreciated.