The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Change Log

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dr_lucas, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr_lucas

dr_lucas Active Member

I have been trying to find the recent change log, but all I could find is:
    http://changelog.cpanel.net/
    This log has not been updated in 2 months while the software has.
    Where can I find the updated log?

TIA

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

HA HA HA HA !!!!!

"Recent change log" ? We don't need any stinkin' "recent change log".

:( At least thats what the Cpanel guys think.........

3. dr_lucas

dr_lucas Active Member

I sure do hope that's not their official position. Looking forward to read cPanel staff response...

4. -jdk-

-jdk- Well-Known Member

I know there are many threads regarding this, but we DEFINATELY do need a changelog. This is why we pay money for renewals isn't it?

5. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

Please understand these:

There will never be an frequently updated changelog.
    There will never be a windows version of cPanel.

:)

#5 trhosting.net, Jul 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  6. dr_lucas

dr_lucas Active Member

I can't care less about windows version, that's cPanel business plan and if they don't mind losing all the potential profit they can make with a windows version who am I to judge them?
    But never supplying an up to date change log?! That's one of the most important basics of software development, I have never seen a company as big and important as this one that doesn't provide change log with its software, not to mention the small companies and developers...that's plain and simple laziness and unprofessionalism :(

7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Just wondering, can anyone tell me who cPanel's competitors are? If you answer plesk, can you show me their changelog? I tried to find it on their forums (or mention of it) and must be looking in the wrong area I guess. The forums at http://forum.swsoft.com must not be the right spot to look, heh?

At least its not in the official Announcements forum at top. That one's full of posts like "Discount Cigarettes" "Movies of big t*t sex" "Katie Holmes Sex Tape" and other similar Announcements. (posted more than 30 days ago too!) Not to mention the forums there don't seem to have been upgraded for years, can you say security risk? :rolleyes:

Checking the Forum Leaders page, seems none of the Administrators have more than a few hundred posts combined between them.

Surely these are not the competitions only live forums right? This must be some old archive or something.

I do agree a more up to date changelog would be great. No doubt about that. I have also watched the cPanel team, day after day come to these "user to user" support forums and help out and answer questions as often as they can. Knowing full well the forums here are not the official support area. And they take a beating and never that I have ever seen, lose their cool. Some of these posts are outright nasty, I'm sure you'd agree.

Unprofessional? cPanel team? Not from where I'm sitting. These guys are the best.

Anyone care to try and type up a recent cPanel changelog as they know it? Just for fun of course. I'd like to see how long that might actually come out to be.

While I'm with the rest that I'd like to see one of some sort, I'm sure the task itself is far less important than actually making sure the changes made are solid and work for us.

cPanel here for us has continued to work next to flawless for many years. If there was a problem, cPanel support was always there to assist in sorting out what ever might have gone wrong with an update, quickly.

This is very complex software. Yes a changelog would be great. Having the system work day in day out, IMO, is more important though.

IIRC, Nick has stated this changelog problem is going to be taken care of soon. I can wait. Keep me up and working well. That's what I want.

Thanks cPanel.

8. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

I can write a changelog but i don't know what is changed.
    After every new release am i have check all the applications on cPanel to see what is changed?
    Or is it more easy for cPanel to post the changes. Of course not all of the changes but the important changes may be. (updated software versions etc.)

I want to know, after an update, should i have to do something with the new system for security.

Other than that cPanel support guys are really good.

9. dr_lucas

dr_lucas Active Member

I don't see the relevance. If my competitors are mediocre and I make the best and most popular software in the industry doesn't mean everything is perfect in my company, it only means I don't have good competition, which is a bad thing for us, the customers, in the end of the day.
    You are saying that if cPanel had a good competitor, or better one, which does offer detailed and up to date change log with every release than we would have "the right" to criticize them, but that's just wrong. Just because they don't have good enough competition doesn't mean they should allow themselves to cut corners, to not excel and not be professional all along the software development route, and a change log is an essential part of that route as it enables your customers to make an educated decision on whether or not they want to upgrade and which version is the best for their needs (that's only 1 reason, there are many more).

Agree with you here, never said their support is unprofessional.
    Nevertheless, I do find it disappointing that they still didn't bother to respond to this thread...

You gotta be kidding. cPanel itself offer a change log and it's not long at all, the only problem (which we are discussing here) is that it's late, very late, instead of offering the log at the same time they release a build...

I agree that creating a high quality software is the top priority, I wouldn't say it is *far* less important to make the change log available to the public together. I think it's extremely important.

10. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Sure you did. And is the reason in part that compelled me to even bother posting to this thread.

I think they have responded to this issue several times now in multiple threads.

As for relevance, of course you're right. There is no relevance in my post I guess. Just wanted to see what the competition was up to. Couldn't find anything similar to what cPanel provides at 'the competitions' site.

You know, it's been posted on these forums many times (not by me), "If you don't like cPanel go find something else to use in place of it" Instead of continuing to read threads like this over and over, I myself went to take a look thats all...

Carry on. ;)

11. dr_lucas

dr_lucas Active Member

No, I didn't. I wasn't referring to their support (team), afaik a change log is not something the support is responsible for.

I was searching (before starting this thread) and couldn't find any answer for my question in any of the multiple threads, but would appreciate if you can point me to those threads.

Again, that's off topic. Feel free to read my comment above about mediocrity etc.

That's like saying "if you don't like how I make my software go look elsewhere as I know everything better than my clients and don't wanna hear any complaints or criticism". I sure do hope that this kind of response didn't come from cPanel staff as that would not be considered professional in my book and if it was a response by customers then who cares.
    If any of my staff will tell a concerned prospect/customer "if you don't like something here then go look elsewhere", I will suspend him/her on spot.
    Besides, I never said I don't like cPanel, I am talking about the change log issue here and only that...

12. DReade83

DReade83 Well-Known Member

Oh how this post started off with a good point, that we need a ChangeLog, and now it's become a pointless one. Sucks tbh!

13. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

I started one of the other threads a few weeks ago on this, cpanelnick responded to it basically saying 'We know its a problem, We'll update it more when we hire someone to do so"

14. dr_lucas

dr_lucas Active Member

I couldn't find this thread, could you please post a link?
    I've seen cpanelnick active on this board in these past few days, but no response to this thread...I was a bit disappointed about his lack of response earlier, but I thought he (and the other staff) may have been on holiday or something but now that's getting insulting...

15. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

#15 nickp666, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  16. dr_lucas

dr_lucas Active Member

OMG, 1 month and 1600 votes for change log and still no person hired for the job, how hard can it be to maintain a change log, it's secretarial work for god's sake. :mad:

17. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Well-Known Member

I've asked cPanel about this before, they know about the problem but have yet to continue with updates.

We really really do need to know whats changing between releases, if something goes wrong with an update it gives us a head start to see what could have gone wrong and what needs to be done to fix it.

18. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The change log was updated today with the details of changes to the latest Current build (15601).

We will be posting the changes to some of the past builds (back to the May entries).

We do pay attention and know that the change log is one of many services our customers rely upon.

Thank you for your continued patience.

We are also open to change log suggestions, especially since we are in the process of improving it.

19. dr_lucas

dr_lucas Active Member

Thanks, that's a start.
    1 suggestion - if you can add a selection menu of some sort to allow us to filter the tree/s we are interested to track (actually an advanced search box can also accomplish this) would be great.

20. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Better filtering and search are two of the enhancements planned.

Publishing the change log is somewhat of a black art, which is the first thing we are addressing.

It's difficult enough to put together all the changes into a palatable format; having the publishing be yet-another-flaming-hoop-of-death does not encourage the process. Once the publishing is simplified, the rest will be easier to accomplish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.