Would Admins like to see cPanel develop a chrooted system for each account?

• Yes!

Votes: 323 91.2%
  • No!

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • What's chroot?

Votes: 22 6.2%

• Total voters

rs-freddo

May 13, 2003
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I was wondering if anyone else would like to see cPanel Development move towards a proper chrooted environment for each hosting account. This is the future, but cPanel developers don't seem to know that. Ensim and Sphera both use this system now, with probably more panels to follow. Will cPanel admins be left way behind????

I see a new cPanel Pro version coming out basically with a name change, a few additions to the WHM menu and that's about it.

Would other admins like to see cPanel go to a fully chrooted system?

damainman

Nov 13, 2003
YES!!!!!!!!!! As well as creating a more secure "DEMO" account. Secruity should be top priority.

casey

Jan 17, 2003
Would this disable php and other languages that need functions outside of the user's home directory?

dgbaker

PartnerNOC
Sep 20, 2002
Toronto, Ontario Canada
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Nope. A properly chrooted environment would allow the users to function and do what the need without compromising the server. Note though, I said a "properly" chrooted environment. :D

TheVoice

Feb 7, 2002
I'd be nice not to have to worry about one user hacking another user on the same server.

rs-freddo

May 13, 2003
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Based on the results so far, I put in a Feature Request.

Encourage other admins to vote and make comments if you wish the cpanel developers to know what you want.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 35129

jamesbond

Oct 9, 2002
I wonder who is voting against having a more secure control panel ;)
Like rs-freddo said, it will become a standard having 'shared hosting' servers chrooted.

Many large hosting companies have already implemented this. Several control panels as well...As long as CPanel=unchrooted it will even more become a target for 'scriptkiddies'.
Isn't it bad enough as it is now?

Just think about it...once the majority of shared hosting servers are chrooted and cpanel servers (which are easily identified) are not, what do you think will happen...

Dreamer

Jun 23, 2003
Bulgaria
I see no reason to vote with answer other than 'yes'. It is, however, quite strange that after this problem is nothing new and the are too many complaints from the users nothing is being done to change this. Or it look like...

eth00

PartnerNOC
Mar 30, 2003
NC
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Yes this would be a great feature to see within cpanel. Right now cpanel has some security issues and it is a very good step in the right direction.

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

whew!

are we lacking any more 'yes' ?? I will try to cover in the next post. :D

LP-Trel

Oct 13, 2003
Nirvana
I'd rather not see cPanel in anything other than what it is in now because of so many bugs.

How about we take a vote on new features vs. fixing the existing product?

Chroot.. hell no!, No telling what kinds of hell this would cause.