Would Admins like to see cPanel develop a chrooted system for each account?

• Yes!

Votes: 323 91.2%
  • No!

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • What's chroot?

Votes: 22 6.2%

• Total voters

jamesbond

Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by LifelessHost
I'd rather not see cPanel in anything other than what it is in now because of so many bugs.

How about we take a vote on new features vs. fixing the existing product?

Chroot.. hell no!, No telling what kinds of hell this would cause.
There are not that many bugs are there? I can only think of a few.

We don't want new features, we want security improvements. As I mentioned before... more and more servers are being configured with a chrooted setup, cpanel servers are not...which ones do you think the 'hackers' will pick as victims in the long run.

Ofcourse we want a properly implemented and tested chroot setup. We don't need it next week, but at least they should start developing plans for it and work towards a chrooted setup in say 6 months or so.

rs-freddo

May 13, 2003
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Originally posted by jamesbond

We don't want new features, we want security improvements. As I mentioned before... more and more servers are being configured with a chrooted setup, cpanel servers are not...which ones do you think the 'hackers' will pick as victims in the long run.

Ofcourse we want a properly implemented and tested chroot setup. We don't need it next week, but at least they should start developing plans for it and work towards a chrooted setup in say 6 months or so.
Exactly!

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider

correct!

Dreamer

Jun 23, 2003
Bulgaria

Right! :P

rs-freddo

May 13, 2003
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
In regards to features, yes, I agree with you.

Unfortunately security doesn't work like that. With security you must move with the times, you must improve or go under. In 12 months time if cPanel does not have a chrooted system it won't have any customers. That's the bottom line, unfortunately. If you get hacked 3 times in 3 weeks you'll dump cpanel too - even if it is entirely bug free.

Mani

Dec 22, 2003
BIG TIME YEEEEEEESSSSSSS

can i vote once per each server i have lol

good one freddo this a real need if they work on it.

well life might become a bit hard for the guys but it will solve lots of problems and more time to sleep.

Mani

Dec 22, 2003
by the way freddo as i can see the votes

there will be 5 guys who will look after your head if cpanel did listen to us looooooool
:D :D :D

rs-freddo

May 13, 2003
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Originally posted by Mani
by the way freddo as i can see the votes

there will be 5 guys who will look after your head if cpanel did listen to us looooooool
:D :D :D
As I read it only 3 people have voted no so far - and only one person felt strongly enough to say why. The figure of 5 are "don't knows".

In a case where over 85% of my customers wanted some "service/feature" and less than 5% didn't want it. I would not be in business if I just ignored my customers...
I would have to give a pretty good reason why it wasn't going to be implemented...
Certainly silence would just piss them off...

Last edited:

damainman

Nov 13, 2003
I can't wait till cpanel becomes chrooted and i have that piece of mind, that its one less thing i need to worry about.

markie

BANNED
Oct 5, 2003
Running polls like this is pretty worthless. I dont think Cpanel is going to implament a complete chroot envir. based on some silly poll. If they cant fix the existing bugs that have plagued Cpanel for so long what makes everyone think they are going to give us what we want?

Mani

Dec 22, 2003
this is what i meant here the 5 who dont know what is going on here llooll

only once it is done then they will come back looking for you

so you better answer them from now and tell them what do you mean by your post exactly or at least tell them what is that thing that they dont know.:D

RaveKnights

Nov 5, 2003
Some Where Out There!
this is what i meant here the 5 who dont know what is going on here llooll

only once it is done then they will come back looking for you

so you better answer them from now and tell them what do you mean by your post exactly or at least tell them what is that thing that they dont know.:D
Mani what is it that you don't know? If you don't anything about chroot and you own a server that offers hosting than I suggest you get on google.com and look up chroot.

google.com holds all the answers since they are the only trusted search engine that lives
:D

Live by google.com:p :p :p :p

Mani

Dec 22, 2003
looooool

exactly but hey guys i did not say any thing he did

well RaveKnights it is not me i did vote yes

i meant the 5 on top of this vote who said they dont know
they will be hunting freddo :D :D :D

one more thing guys if you did not find it on http://google.com then the best place to go is http://googles.com and have some fun :D

RaveKnights

Nov 5, 2003
Some Where Out There!
looooool

exactly but hey guys i did not say any thing he did

well RaveKnights it is not me i did vote yes

i meant the 5 on top of this vote who said they dont know
they will be hunting freddo :D :D :D

one more thing guys if you did not find it on http://google.com then the best place to go is http://googles.com and have some fun :D
ha! hey rs-freddo when your done with this pole you should put one up about who is your favorite at googles.com

mine is iggle she's kinda cute... lol

Higgins

Jan 31, 2003
Would be nice if any of the Cpanel Developers could tell us anything about there Plans if a Chrooted environment is be planned

[ ] this year
[ ] within the next 10 years
[ ] maybe never