Would Admins like to see cPanel develop a chrooted system for each account?

• Yes!

Votes: 323 91.2%
  • No!

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • What's chroot?

Votes: 22 6.2%

• Total voters

trakwebster

Jan 29, 2003
I would very much like to have more security from users

I would very much like to have more security, *especially* from users. That's what appears to be the constant wedge in the door.

If a hacker wants to get in, why bother coming from the great outside, when for a few bucks he can hack from inside?

However, I'm not confident enough of my ability to do it myself.

But I trust cpanel guys to know enough to do it right. And I would very much like this, if it can be accomplished.

markie

BANNED
Oct 5, 2003
Originally posted by Higgins
Would be nice if any of the Cpanel Developers could tell us anything about there Plans if a Chrooted environment is be planned

[ ] this year
[ ] within the next 10 years
[ ] maybe never
Howabout

[ ] this year
[:D] within the next 10 years
[ ] maybe never

Cloak

Jun 19, 2003
I would love it if we got a proper chrooted environment. Voted yes, please.

Mani

Dec 22, 2003
lol

as per to the votes there will be 7 looking for your head freddo:D

AlexF

Nov 20, 2003
Originally posted by damainman
I wonder why this hasnt became a sticky yet....
I agree! Security should always we a top priority. Although, I bet some kiddies would disagree with their more enhancements/features, please... Not that it isn't bad, but not over security and/or bug fixes.

my $.02

rs-freddo

May 13, 2003
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
With an 89% yes vote and less than 4% no vote this must be the most wanted new feature out. Yet cPanel have failed to address this post.

Maybe just too hard??? Would like to know they are at least consdiering it...

cyon

PartnerNOC
Jan 15, 2003
Originally posted by rs-freddo
With an 89% yes vote and less than 4% no vote this must be the most wanted new feature out. Yet cPanel have failed to address this post.

I totally agree. Would be great if a developer can tell us if there are plans or not.

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Originally posted by rs-freddo

I agree.

rs-freddo

May 13, 2003
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I was amused to look at the cpanel forum and see the number and type of posts made sticky. Apparently getting the user to put in their email address is a far more important issue to cpanel than a chrooted environment. In fact I am assuming that because cPanel did not make this thread sticky (when they were making other threads sticky) that a chrooted environment isn't even an issue for them. I know cPanel has a reputation for not caring about security and I guess they have chosen to prove their detractors right. Must say i am disappointed. Still, as a hosting provider, I have to look at the long term - and cPanel just won't be on my next server.

cyon

PartnerNOC
Jan 15, 2003
we all know, that the developers browse this forum at least once a week.
it's impossible to miss that thread, so why is it such difficult to give a little feedback?
a "we have no plans yet" is still better than nothing, isn't it?