The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel comes up, looks good, but stuff missing and buttons don't work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hen3ry, Feb 18, 2012.

1. hen3ry

hen3ry Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm interim webmaster for a small website. The old webmaster is very busy with ...other stuff and is generally non-responsive, the owner (totally non-technical) is looking for a new webmaster, and in the meantime, I'm trying to do some maintenance.

I have log-in privileges sufficient to enter cPanel. It's cPanel Version 11.30.6 (build 3). At first glance cPanel seems to be functioning normally. Stats look reasonable. I can navigate to various sub-pages.

I need to add a FTP account. When I navigate to the FTP Accounts page, it looks reasonable. I see three subheads:

Add FTP Account

FTP Accounts

Special FTP Accounts

Immediately I know something is wrong, because no accounts are listed, and I _know_ several FTP accounts exist. Further, if I try to add a new FTP account, text entry works, but none of the buttons work. For example, I can click on "Password Generator" all day, the simple "press animation" occurs, but nothing happens.

Maybe a browser problem, right? I tried multiple browsers on a fully-up-to-date Mac, another up-to-date browser on an old WinXP box; no better results. I also tried emptying the browser cache on each. Finally, I borrowed a brand-new Android and found that I could see some existing FTP accounts. I managed to establish the new one I wanted. No problems at all, except of course the difficulty of working on a small screen with an on-screen keyboard.

Any ideas about the cause? The cure? Is there anything I as a user can do to make this work on Firefox/Safari/Chrome/Opera on my Mac? What could I try?

I would ordinarily contact the hosting service and ask them for help, except I haven't got full credentials -- and don't want them, 'cause I'm just filling in, don't want the job.

TIA

2. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It is odd and at least in my experience, I didn't see such an issue. Normally all the buttons in cPanel should work and it submit the data fine. Please try to upgrade cPanel using /scripts/upcp --force command via root SSH. If the issue persists, I doubt this as your local issue rather than an issue with the server. Check cpanel error log at /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log to confirm this.

Thank you,
    Nibin.

#2 NixTree, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
  3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The commands indicated by Nibin would require SSH access to the machine, which you wouldn't have hen3ry due to being the website account holder. You'll have to ask your hosting provider or have the person you are helping do that. The only way to investigate the issue would be as the root administrator of the machine.

4. hen3ry

hen3ry Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Right, thanks to both of you for your replies.

Ordinarily, I would give up at this point. The official new webmaster can take care of it -- and will be paid to do it.

But I'm a bit obsessed by the fact that the brand-new Android accessed the same cPanel installation perfectly well.

So I went back to Firefox on my Mac and tried it again, with the error console activated. Now cPanel is functioning :) :) :) perfectly :) :) :).

Hooray! The only explanation I have is that a Firefox update arrived yesterday. Maybe this cPanel installation is using some component (say, Javascript) that's really new and needs the clients to be up-to-date to match.

Case closed! Thanks for your help.

5. rzderich

rzderich Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have a machine with same issue, version WHM 11.32.1 (build 3), everything looks ok, but cpanel user interface have several javascript errors, undefined functions and/or missing variable values. The whole user interface depends in many ways in javascript code that is truncated. Some one have seen like these? I allready try a ./upcp --force without any result.

After the last version upgrade to WHM 11.32.x almost all servers are fine. these is the only exception. I wonder if somebody run with same issue after the upgrade?.

Best Regards

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look?

Submit A Ticket

Thank you.

7. rzderich

rzderich Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Michael

I already open a ticket and the issue was solved. Thank you!.

8. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please provide the ticket number and the resolution so we all know what happened for future reference. Thanks!