The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel cripples OS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cooldude7273, May 28, 2005.

1. cooldude7273

cooldude7273 Well-Known Member

I did a fresh install of FC3 today, and after installing cPanel, upon rebooting, I get a blue screen with the message:

"I cannot start the X server (your GUI). It is liekly that it is not se up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?"

Any ideas?

2. fusioncroc

fusioncroc Well-Known Member

Really you should not run X on a server.

However i have heard that cPanel will disable it , with a way to "patch" the disable as well.

3. cooldude7273

I don't even know what an X server is, let alone run it.

edit: I was using GNOME is that matters.

#3 cooldude7273, May 28, 2005
    Last edited: May 28, 2005
  4. cooldude7273

I see that the X Windows System is installed - how do I uninstall it?

(I did not select it to install when I loaded FC)

5. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Gnome requires the xwindows system. What I would suggest you do is start with a fresh "custom" OS install choosing the "minimal" option at install. This will install only the basic required components, and cpanel will fetch whatever else is needed. No window systems can be used in conjunction with cpanel.

It is very dangerous to be using a system, especially with a novice understanding, with installed ( even if disabled ) programs and services that are unrequired. Not to mention the overhead that comes along with that. Definitly a big no no!

6. cooldude7273

How's about KDE or that other minimal GUI that can be installed?

7. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Absolutely not, there is no need for a windows manager on multi user server especially. As I said, install a fresh copy without anything but minimal and you will be fine.

8. fusioncroc

Cooldude KDE and Gnome are both session manager's that use the X windows system so there's not much you can do.

Well there is always the terminal :cool:

9. gmagana

gmagana Active Member

Geez why suggest a re-install? Just change the startup runlevel to 3 and move on with life.

10. fusioncroc

Gmagana normally installing cPanel requires most services not to be installed as it install's them by it's self.

And also uneeded services can cause some problems.

11. cooldude7273

install stops!

Ok, so I got to finally installing cPanel! It gets far through then it just stops! I have included the picture of the screen where is just stops.

http://msbetas.org/dan/cpanelerror.JPG

Please help! :(

12. gmagana

gmagana Active Member

I'd say "requires" is way too strong a word here. Part of the install is removing any installed services known to cause problems. If it was really required it would be in the install instructions.

13. haze

haze Well-Known Member

It certainly did a good job on redhat legacy. But to be honest, if you have a look at the packages still installed and even running on some of the newer enterprise OS's especially ( even rh9 ) there is a boatload of crap that should truely be gone, that is on a basic server install.

I've spent hours cleaning up a single box because a datacenter decided to install the "server" version. Well server means just about everything and it bloats up the install. Who needs print servers ? portmap ? etc. Sure cpanel does a fine job at cleaning up a machine during install.

Personally, as a system admin, it is my duty to know what is installed on a machine and why. Having 200 or so extra packages that are either not in use or shut off is still a risk. In fact EVERY piece of software on a server should be considered a security risk, its just another possible way in for an intruder. Not to mention the overhead involved in updating a system thats so bloated its taking up precious partion / disk space and bandwidth. It also doesn't help if you have a system such as tripwire or other IDS systems that monitor installed software. The overhead alone is not worth it.

Thats just NOT on in my books.

For what its worth, cPanel installs perfectly fine on a minimal install system and will pick up anything it needs along the way. All you need to do is import your gpg key or keys etc, start the installer and your on your way.

14. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree with haze more. If you install anything other than minimal you are opening yourself to both security risks (I too find on average around 5 daemon processes with ports open to the internet running services that are never needed - that is one huge security risk) and to OS problems. I've seen many a searver than falls apart when an OS upgrade comes along and because of all the redundant packages, the dependency list effectively makes it impossible to upgrade and it's almost worth wiping the server and starting again considering the time required to clean it up.

As to the OP, as has been said, X windows (and the apps that sit on top) really have no place on a production server as they pose another security risk, consume huge amounts of server resource and slow you from learning what you need to know as a server admin. You simply have to get your hands dirty and learn from shell. Considering the phenominally low spec requirements for Linux (or FreeBSD) I'd strongly recommend getting a very cheap second-hand PC and loading the OS (or similar) that you're using on your production server(s) and learn how to administer your server in an environment where it doesn't matter if you screw it up.

15. cooldude7273

Can't connect!

Ok, I'm running the basics now, and cPanel installed cPanel for me. But I can't connect to port 2087! It's behind a router, and I have setup port forwarding correctly because cPanel was able to connect via shell to setup cPanel up.

Confused, I am. Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

16. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, search the forums as solutions have been discussed indepth many times. Try connect to port 2087

17. cooldude7273

I am trying to connect to port 2087...

18. cooldude7273

Ok, I searched and I feel like an idiot now! :(

/etc/init.d/iptables stop did the trick

But will this disable it forever?

19. gmagana

gmagana Active Member

Well now i'm pissed. There's no mention of this in the install docs ( http://cpanel.com/install.html ) and I had extensive contact with cPanel tech support staff while installing cPanel and they never mentioned this.

As I had initially tried to install SuSE 9.3 (which is not supported), we concluded that installing a fresh copy of CentOS 3.4 would be the most stable install, even then they did not tell me to not install any apps/services.

As a new user one has no idea what cPanel does, I was under the impression that cPanel modified existing installs rather than remove whatever was there and install/compile everything from scratch.

Anyway it sucks that cPanel does not tell new users the whole story till after you have everything running and start running into problems later on. Come to think of it, I don't think cPanel even HAS a security section on the docs.

20. cooldude7273

^Agreed.

^ I'm getting this error when I try to restart MySQL because it won't run! :confused: