The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel Database Restore..... [moved]

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by gordypordy, Feb 3, 2006.

1. gordypordy

gordypordy Active Member

Cpanel Database Restore.....

Hello,

I have a database which was backed up in the CPanel BACKUPS area. The file downloaded to my PC as .gz file (gzip) .
    Ive now uploaded the file back to the root directory of my account, and im looking for the instructions for restoring it by logging into shell with SSH.

All the instructions I have seen so far assume the file is a SQL file. I first need to unzip this .gz file , then restore it.

Also, would I need to change the file path, or place the file into another directory.

Can anyone post the instructions here for me in dummy language.

THanx :p

#1 gordypordy, Feb 3, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You cannot restore the full cPanel backup yourself as the procedure requires elevated permissions to write to certain OS files. You have to ask your hosting provider to restore that file that you uploaded for you.

If you're the server admin, then you can restore user backups through WHM > Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file > and note the locations where the tarball needs to be.

#2 chirpy, Feb 3, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  3. gordypordy

gordypordy Active Member

Hi,

I don't have a hosting company, just a server company.

It's a dedi-server I have, not quite fully managed.

Things like this I have to do myself.

I have root access/SSH access.

I just don't know the commands to execute for it.

regards

4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    as Jonathan has allready stated to restore

5. gordypordy

gordypordy Active Member

Oh thanx.

Actually that information was NOT in his original post.

In any event, I tried that and it never worked. Kept saying it could not find any files to restore. I tried a million different ways to try and get it to work, including uploading the file to one of my websites, and using wget to upload a copy to each of the various locations that the WHM documentation specified.

Im not quite sure what the problem is, I just know that it keeps returning a message saying that it cannot find any restorable package, but the package IS there!

That's why I was asking for a way to do it with SSH, because I've tried all other possible methods that I know, and believe me, I spent most of the day before I posted the request trying, and the post itself was after about 5 hours of becoming seriously frustrated the second day!

SO, if anybody knows how I could try it using SSH , I would appreciate if they could post the steps and the instructions.

Thank you