The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPanel "default address" not accepting email for "main account"

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nsdesign, Oct 7, 2005.

1. nsdesign

nsdesign Active Member

A lot of our customers have been recently getting email bounced back to senders with the error: 550-"The recipient cannot be verified. Please check all recipients of this
    550 message to verify they are valid."

Having done some testing, I think ive narrowed the problem down, and now understand What is happenning...

IF the "default address" is set to an actual email address (either local or remote - something@something.com) it seems to work...

IF the default address is set to the cpanel "main account" (ie: if the account username is called "urbanlea", then the default address automatically gets set up to forward to "urbanlea") - it fails with the "The recipient cannot be verified" error....

Why it's started doing this I do not know....

ANy help...???

I assume it's something to do with the fact that the "main account" (ie: the cpanel username) is not a "real" email account... (I've seen this mentioned elsewhere in the forums) but surely something can be done as a workaround?.. The fact that every new accounts automatically sets up the "default address" to forward to the "main account" basically means "catch-all" email is broken from the off!!

Advice appreciated!

Gary

2. nsdesign

nsdesign Active Member

Looks like we've fixed this - so posting it here in case it helps others:

The issue was not related to exim but the hostname of the server. In the server hostname was set wrongly. We have changed it now and mails are delivered successfully.

Pretty strange though as it's been set "wrong" for months without any issues, then all of a sudden it causes the mail problems... Anyway - looks like it's all good again :)