The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel deployment/architecture question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by R|COO, Sep 2, 2005.

1. R|COO

R|COO Registered

All:

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read my post. My name is Sean and this is the first time I've made a post on this forum (anywhere). :)

The question I have is more about using cpanel in an "other than normal" network architecture. Perhaps I can even get some feedback from admins or CPanel staff (as we have many licenses).

I would like to see our linux services deployed over a network that includes a tiered approach: a dmz/front/back end. I would like to stick our database and mail servers at the backend behind a custom firewall for that data. However, I have been notified by one of my techs that this might not be possible because cpanel cannot span the network and/or does not work well over network sockets.

If I were to place my webservers in a dmz in front of the firewall and behind a passive snort box ... and I were to put my databases, mail services, dns, etc behind the firewall ... where would I have to have cpanel installed (ie. local machine or on the apache server with network shares (home))? And how would it work?

I maybe be explaining this poorly, but it is late and I've had a very long day.

Feel free to email me with your suggestions and comments.

Best,

Sean J

2. shashank

shashank Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is possible but it would require a very complex setup. What you are looking at here is sort of clustering. If I understand you correctly The flow would be like :

Webservers ---> Firewall ---> Db,mailservers(with cpanel on them)

That is possible. You would require special type of sync setup between the dbs and mail servers. The firewall would need port 2082 to 2096 open for cpanel communication to work properly and it would require to be on a public Ip as well. If there is a problem with this setup let me know I have one more setup in mind for this kind of stuff

Enjoy :p