The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Deputees

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by srpaneladm, Jun 25, 2007.

1. srpaneladm

srpaneladm Registered

Howdy folks! First time user...long time reader. I have a quick question for everybody. Now, I swear to GOD, I recently saw somewhere an ability to have Cpanel set up "admin-assistants" or admin "deputees", if you will, that could log into cPanel but only be able to perform certain functions for a certain period of time. That way, you didn't have to give out the over-arching cPanel password to folks that just want to set up quick .cron jobs or get a specific db backup or whatever.

I ask because I have a growing site under way right now with several individuals all wanting access at various times...and what SHOULD be a super-secret, secure password is now all but common knowledge....and that's BAD.

So - is there any way via Cpanel to set up temporary admin accounts that don't involve the main cPanel login and password???

Thanks fer all yer help. And thank to the lord you don't have to work directly with THIS GUY. Yowzers!! LOL

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    How do you read the forums without being logged in? ;)

No you can't setup any sort of sub account to do certain things in cPanel. You can setup a reseller in cPanels WHM area and give that user limited access to server features, but that's not what you're looking for I don't think.

Just imagine Balmer being in charge of cPanel changelogs with all that enthusiasm. :p

3. srpaneladm

srpaneladm Registered

Well, that just stinks (kinda like that guy's armpits, did you SEE the gargantuan pit stains??? Better than Fergie's erm..."sweat stains???" I say we get him and Howard Dean together on stage. Bring the Noise!!! LOL. Oh...and btw...I didn't say WHAT I was reading...hee hee hee).

Not one to simply give up and walk away however...I deployed a rather simple workaround. In the customer account area at my host, I had them put a script to reset the Cpanel password, from outside of Cpanel, on demand. So...anyone gets out of line or I simply notice everything going to hell due to excess cooks in the kitchen..I punch a button, type in a new password and BLAM! Everyone's out but ME. I like that...it fits my megalomaniac personality Purrrrfectly.