The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Developers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Freezer, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Freezer

Freezer Well-Known Member

Hi,

how much developers has cPanel got? Just curious about more information about the company who brings out this software :)

Bas

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No idea. You could try asking them, but it could be considered business sensitive information.

3. Freezer

Freezer Well-Known Member

Hmm,

why should it be business sensitive? I am just curious who work's on this software, and what would really be great if they are active @ the forums just like @ vbulletin.com or so for instance :)

4. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

AFAIK, cpanel inc. is not a publicly traded corporation, so they do have certain rights to privacy here in the USA.

As for number of developers/support staff, while it may be an interesting tidbit of info. to know, IMO, not too important. As with any business, it is the quality of the staff and not the quantity of staff that affects the final product(s).

More active forum participation? Cpanel makes it no secret that the forum is not for "official" support and they clearly define the steps one should take should they require personal support. However, I do believe that there are quite a few participants that have managed to provide support for other cpanel users and at no cost to the users.

The exception, of course, is Chirpy the Moderator. Cpanel must be paying him piecemeal (by the post), why else would he have some 8,000+ posts? Hmm, 8,000 posts at $10 bucks a post ;), I wonder where I can apply for a job as a Moderator :D

5. Zaf

Zaf Well-Known Member

Whether chirpy gets paid by cPanel Inc or not. is none of our business too. I guess he makes his bread, butter and even cake from his company's business that primarily is into server management. He might be doing some hosting business, consulting etc. too which I am not sure of as I have never gone in details of his company's profile etc.

He probably gets a pleasure out of helping others like many others do, you'd only know if you are one of them. Secondly, he gets very popular with the newcomers here by posting so many solutions and some of these users in future look back to him for his paid services too.

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

To be a moderator, I guess there are different paths of going about it. One of them, is to get tooooo popular and get many genuine users mailing to cPanel appreciating your job here of helping ppl. Another way could be influence cPanel guys and become friends....so much that they start trusting you and one day if that trust is good enough and if they find you capable of handling the responsibility, they might give the cap to you too.

6. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Actually, if you check the emoticons, I was trying to be funny and did not intend for my statement about Chirpy to be taken seriously/literally. In all actuality (IMO), a price could not even be attached to all of the great advice and services he has provided for the cpanel community .

7. Joshfrom

Joshfrom Well-Known Member

cPanel Inc is a private corporation and the board urges us not to disclose information about corporate makeup, staffing, etc. Most of our management, technical support and development staff read the forums regularly but we do try to limit our "official" support to the ticket system and bugzilla. I'm one of the business managers so I don't often answer techy stuff :)

We have a couple of moderators here in the forum. They do not get compensated by us and we invited them to take these positions because of the overwhelming involvement they already were showing. We are not currently looking for any more moderators however. Generally anytime a post is reported we can respond to it very quickly.

8. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Too bad my involvment has slowed down, but Jonathan does a good job making up for that. :D

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I do it, 'cos I genuinly like doing it :) I do indeed get work from the forums and that helps me justify the time I spend here.

I also learn a lot too from the posts here. I'm more of the type of person to hunt down the answer to any questions that I have here, on the web, or the down and dirty way of reading through the perl scripts, than taking the (easier) option of asking ;)

10. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    And we learn a hell of a lot from you chirpy. Thank you for all your hard work.

11. BraveX

BraveX Well-Known Member

Ditto! Really appreciate your involvement, Johnathan. Am also considering signing up for your Mailscanner install. Might also hire you for admin services. So yes, your good karma does pay off! :)

12. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Chirpy and DGBaker really do a great job on the forums and offer a lot to the Cpanel community. I point people to you guys all the time when they ask for help with Cpanel servers. I understand not posting as much as you used to, I have been so busy over the past month preparing a new cabinet for a full company move.