The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Disk Partitions in a Cloud Environment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BWS, Nov 28, 2012.

1. BWS

BWS Active Member

Hi,

I'm a long term cPanel user and keen to use the cloud offered by my current DC. However, I have a concern over disk partition sizes.

It's my understanding that cPanel will happily accept new /home partitions (/home1 /home2 and use the least filled) so that makes perfect sense. However, it's also my understanding that the MySQL database, logs and mailing lists (and possibly more) live outside of users home directories.

This means one of three things needs to happen:
    1. We setup the root partition with enough space to survive however long we believe this server will be in service to house this data.
    2. We need some way of resizing the root partition (is LVM an option here?)
    3. We move the items (such as MySQL etc) out of the root partition and link them.

I'm not a huge fan of option 1, option 2 concerns me (nobody is a fan of resizing live disks right?), and option 3 I wonder how it will stand up to cPanel upgrades and whether rsyncing to a new partition when we need to upgrade would be robust.

Is anyone actually doing any of the above and has any feedback on it?