The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel DNS Cluster & Slow WHM DNS Pages

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Dakaix, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Dakaix

Dakaix Registered

Hello,

I am having trouble with my newly created DNS cluster. All the DNS related pages (Zone List, Edit Zone, Cluster DNS Diagram etc.) are slow at loading in WHM. The cPanel error log says its having connection issues to one of the DNS Only servers (NS1):

Code:
    (internal error) Unable to reload bind on the remote server [78.xxx.xxx.xxx] (Connection Timed Out)
    The cluster currently contains two DNS Only servers, both set to synchronise changes with the main cPanel server. NS1 is the server creating the above error, NS2 is working correctly.

Between the cPanel server and NS1 there are firewalls, however the IP addresses are trusted on all ports and protocols.

Any help would be much appreciated, I have included the server information and cPanel versions below.

Thanks,

Dakaix.

Server Specifications:
    Code:
    ----- Main cPanel -----
    CentOS 5.4 x86_64
    11.24.5-RELEASE_38506

----- NS1 -----
    CentOS 5.4 x86
    11.24.4-DNSONLY_33314

----- NS2 -----
    CentOS 5.3 x86_64
    1.24.4-DNSONLY_33314

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    In the provided scenario, please change the DNS cluster configuration as follows:
    * Please ensure that via WHM of the two DNS ONLY servers the Configure Cluster page defines the DNS role as "Standalone" to the cPanel/WHM server.
    * Conversely, please ensure that via WHM of the cPanel/WHM server the Configure Cluster page defines the DNS role as "Synchronize Changes" to the DNS ONLY servers.

The above two steps will help ensure better stability and optimal performance of the DNS cluster in the specific scenario provided where there are two dedicated systems running cPanel DNS ONLY, and one main system running cPanel/WHM.

I recommend referring to the following documentation for additional details and information about configuring cPanel DNS Clustering:
    ClusterRemote < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki
    Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration (for version 11.25 and later)
    Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration (for version 11.24)