The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel DNS issue after reboot

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by 10101, Mar 25, 2010.

1. 10101

10101 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Each time after a reboot I need to flush iptables before I can access WHM on the dns server, selinux is disabled of course so I'm at a loss... any ideas?

2. m4rc3

m4rc3 Active Member

Do you just restart iptables or stop it?
    Do you have a firewall front end such as csf or apf ?

Also why are you so sure it's a dns issue, iptables could be blocking the cpanel ports among other things

#2 m4rc3, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    cPanelDon likes this.
  3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    If there is no other firewall-related script involved (such a an iptables wrapper), then you may prevent iptables from automatically starting using the following command:
    Code:
    # chkconfig iptables off
    To verify if it worked, use the following to view what run-levels iptables will or will not start in:
    Code:
    # chkconfig --list iptables
    m4rc3 is correct; if it is the OS firewall preventing DNS activity this is something the server administrator will need to inspect and evaluate and subsequently determine what iptables configuration changes are needed to ensure it does not interfere with DNS and other important services.

4. 10101

10101 Well-Known Member

I don't see anywhere in my thread where I said it was a dns issue... it is down to Iptables so I'm working on a ruleset for that as I would rather keep it running for security.

5. m4rc3

m4rc3 Active Member

The subject of this thread is "cPanel DNS issue after reboot" that's why I asked
    Never occurred to me that it was about a dns-only cpanel server :)

As a side note, why not use csf?

#5 m4rc3, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  6. 10101

10101 Well-Known Member

My mistake, it's meant to be "cPanel dns only" as in thats whats installed not standard WHM :)

It only needs a few ports opened so will just do it with iptables.

7. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Thank you for the clarification regarding cPanel DNSONLY. After re-reading your initial post I believe the issue stems from the stock-default OS firewall configuration. It is possible that the OS came with stock-default iptables rules that are blocking access on certain ports and or only allowing access on certain ports; this is not uncommon to occur but can be easily resolved by customizing the default firewall (iptables) rules that were included with the OS installation (e.g., the firewall configuration included with CentOS or RHEL).

An internal case was opened to examine improving the installation process for better handling of situations where the stock-default OS firewall configuration may block required ports, such as with the default iptables rules in RHEL and CentOS; the earliest ETA for this enhancement may be version 11.25.1 (that is currently in BETA). Reference: Latest cPanel/WHM Builds

8. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change

Please Note: Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change

As of July 28, 2010 the cPanel/WHM version number designations have been officially changed.

Version 11.25.1 is now designated 11.28 and version 11.25.2 is now designated 11.30.

These new changes were explained in some detail recently at the July 2010 - Quarterly Road map - Webinar direct from cPanel's PodCast Studio in Houston, Texas with speakers David Grega and Mario Rodriguez.

An official press release about these changes is forthcoming and can be accessed at this link as soon as it's made available to the Forum Team:
    Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change (To be updated)

This post serves to update users who are subscribed to threads (where this message is posted) looking forward to upcoming enhancements in future versions of cPanel.