The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel DNS on 2 dedicated servers.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Avante, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Avante

Avante Member

Hello,
    I have quite a few clients and I have been getting ddosed more frequently now. I already have 2 dedicated servers lined up to be my DNS servers. So 3 in total.
    But I need it setup like this
    Main Web Server=Node 1
    NS1=Node 2
    NS2=Node 3

Eventually I'll have NS3 and NS4 but for now that's all I can afford, how would I set it up so if NS1 gets DDOS and it goes offline it will rely on NS2 for resolving? I'm sure this is somewhere around but I didn't spend that much time looking. Need a fast response.

Thanks in advance

2. Avante

Avante Member

Still need help anyone have solutions? Do I have to have both NS1 and NS2 on 1 DNS server?

3. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

One solution that I can suggest is...

1. Register your ns1 ans ns2 name servers pointing to Nod2 and Nod3 respectively ( your 2 DNS servers ).

2. Set up DNS clustering on Nod1 ( Main >> Cluster/Remote Access >> Configure Cluster ) with Nod2 and Nod3, so that the zone files created on Nod1 (web server ) will be synced to both your name servers and the dns servers can be queried fine for the newly created domains.

3. Disable DNS on Nod1 ( web server ).

4. If you would like to have ns3 and ns4 now, add two IPs to nod2 and nod3 and register ns3 and ns4 with the new IPs. You may add more DNS server later for ns3 and ns4, if you would like by just settings up the DNS clustering.

Thank you,
    Nibin.

4. Avante

Avante Member

Thanks for that, I will try that as soon as we get everything ready to move over to our new servers.

Thanks

-Chris