The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel DNS Only ... but no control panel available to administer it?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by skln, Apr 26, 2011.

1. skln

skln Member

Hi,

I am having an issue with setting up DNS Only.
    I am installing it on a 64-bit CentOS server.
    Running install I think it completes fine
    (Finishes with: Starting /usr/local/cpanel/libexec/tailwatch/tailwatchd daemon
    Log is at /usr/local/cpanel/logs/tailwatchd_log)

At which point, one would assume they can then go to https://IP:2087 to link it to my main cpanel server...
    Unfortunately, when I go to this IP, nothing appears. I have checked firewall settings and Im sure its not that (I even try to login using the local IP address but still nothing loads.

My netstat-tap is as follows:
    Code:
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State       PID/Program name   
    tcp        0      0 *:gnunet                    *:*                         LISTEN      4181/cpsrvd - waiti 
    tcp        0      0 *:eli                       *:*                         LISTEN      4181/cpsrvd - waiti 
    tcp        0      0 *:mysql                     *:*                         LISTEN      2865/mysqld         
    tcp        0      0 *:smtps                     *:*                         LISTEN      2884/exim           
    tcp        0      0 srv0.mydomain.com:domain     *:*                         LISTEN      3745/named          
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomai:domain *:*                         LISTEN      3745/named          
    tcp        0      0 *:ssh                       *:*                         LISTEN      2749/sshd           
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomain:rndc  *:*                         LISTEN      3745/named          
    tcp        0      0 *:smtp                      *:*                         LISTEN      2884/exim                   

As far as I can see the port isnt active. I have checked my /var/log/messages but there is no error about stunnel (I also remember seeing upon boot that it said I didnt need to use it, anyway).
    I have also tried to run "services dnsonly restart" to restart dns only but still to no avail.

Does anyone know of how I can resolve this? Ive looked all over the forums and google but no one seems to have had this issue before??

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello skln,

First of all, can you try http://IP#:2086/ to see if that might work? If it does, try checking /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log to see if you have any errors outputting.

Next for the firewall, can you take that down entirely to ensure that it isn't playing a factor?

Then can you try restarting cPanel itself, then check the status of it with these commands?

Code:
    /etc/init.d/cpanel restart
    /etc/init.d/cpanel status
    Finally, just to ensure this is DNS only, can you provide the output for these two commands?

Code:
    cat /etc/cpupdate.conf
    cat /usr/local/cpanel/version
    Thanks!

3. skln

skln Member

Hi there,

Many Thanks for your prompt reply.
    Interestingly... it seems that it was due to iptables... I ran service iptables stop temporarily and suddenly it worked...

Am wondering... during the DNS only setup, does the iptables get set up then? Or is it prior to that in which it is setup?
    Many Thanks agian

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We do not add any rules to iptables to open or close ports. iptables is setup during baseline CentOS or RedHat Enterprise installation, and outside cPanel entirely for installation and configuration. You could likely add the following to iptables and then save the change to get it working:

Code:
    /sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 2086:2087 -j ACCEPT
    service iptables save

5. skln

skln Member

Excellent - thanks very much :)