The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel DNS only cluster question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Sunrex, May 14, 2010.

1. Sunrex

Sunrex Member

I'm pretty sure that if one server fails the other will still work resulting in no downtime, but let me ask my question anyway:

If I have two DNS only servers setup pointing to the actual main server, DNS server 1 supplies ns1 and ns2 and DNS server 2 supplies ns3 and ns4, if server 1 failed/went offline/crashed and server 2 was still up, clients would still be able to visit their site correct?.

Or would one server going down kill off the entire cluster, resulting in all nameservers going offline.

Thanks!.

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Think about this when asking that question ....

What is the reason for having multiple DNS servers? :)

3. Sunrex

Sunrex Member

I know, which is why I said I'm pretty sure already in the first line :). I just read a post online indicating one would bring down the entire cluster, so I wanted to be sure :).

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Your other DNS servers won't go offline ....

Cluster updates should still happen between your hosting servers and the DNS server(s) that remain online.

What will happen though is since one DNS server is unreachable, resolution will be automatically tried against the backup DNS server(s) so your domain zones will continue to resolve properly.

Internally all your servers will most likely "disconnect" the failed server from the cluster (safety precaution) so when that server comes back online, you will need to reattach it back to the cluster with the other servers and the run a manual "synchronize dns zones" to pickup an dns changes or updates that may of occurred while that server was down.