The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel DNS Only Configuration

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by nimonogi, May 4, 2011.

1. nimonogi

nimonogi Member

Hello,

I would like some instructions on how to configure my current cPanel servers and cPanel DNS Only to work together.

I have installed cPanel DNS Only on a VPS and i would like my two other servers to use cPanel DNS Only.

The idea is to use one pair of NameServers across all my servers.

Can you please provide some detailed instructions.

Thanks in advance.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello nimonogi,

Have you reviewed the online documentation we already have in regards to using DNS only machines for clustering?

Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration

These are the detailed instructions already available. If you have specific questions in regards to those instructions, please let us know any portion that is unclear and we would be happy to help with those questions.

Thanks!

3. nimonogi

nimonogi Member

Each cPanel DNS only VPS will be considered as a NameServer?
    If i want two NS i will have to create two VPSs with cPanel DNS only installed on them?

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You wouldn't have to create two DNS only machines if you do not want to do so. You can put both nameservers onto one of the DNS only and simply cluster to that one machine, then have the nameservers set in WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup area as both of those nameservers. While you wouldn't cluster to both nameservers since they would both reside on the same machine, you can still have both nameservers in the DNS zone and use both of them.

Of course, it is better to have two nameservers on separate machines so that, if one machine goes down, you have the other machine take up handling the DNS zones.

5. nimonogi

nimonogi Member

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Correct, if you have two DNS only machines and use ns1.domain.com one one of the DNS only machines and ns2.domain.com on the other DNS only machine, then you could cluster the machines this way to get the diagram indicated:

webserver.domain.com > WHM Configure Cluster > Add ns1.domain.com and then select "Synchronize Changes"
    webserver.domain.com > WHM Configure Cluster > Add ns2.domain.com and then select "Synchronize Changes"

ns1.domain.com > WHM Configure Cluster > Add webserver.domain.com and then select "Standalone"
    ns2.domain.com > WHM Configure Cluster > Add webserver.domain.com and then select "Standalone"

This has webserver.domain.com synchronizing to each individual nameserver, then each individual nameserver has webserver.domain.com set to standalone on it (because it is handling the zones and not syncing them to another machine).