The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel DNS Only Configuration

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by marsupillami, Apr 3, 2008.

1. marsupillami

marsupillami Member

Jan 20, 2006
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Good morning

I am trying to setup a DNS cluster, however I am having some difficulties in choosing the appropriate options for each server in cluster.

Currently, I have 4 webservers, and 2 DNS Only Servers. I have assigned one nameserver to each DNS-Only Server, and this two nameservers are the ones I want to give to the users (in order to keep things simple, having a single pair of nameservers).

- Each of the webservers shall only have DNS-Records for their own domains, not the domains in other webservers.
    - DNS-Only Servers must have all the DNS Records from all webservers.

How should this be configured (more specifically, which ones should be configured as "Standalone" and which ones should be configured with "Synchronize")? I tried several combinations, but none of them resulted in having the right DNS entries in each webserver (they ended up having all the entries).

Thank You
  2. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Planet Earth
    From two DNS-Only servers, one should be the Primary and other should be the Secondary. All other servers and the secondary dns-only server should be clustered with the primary and set to Synchronize option and only the Primary dns-only should be set to Standalone.