The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel DNS-Only - How to sync all zones from ns1/ns2 to a new "ns3" nameserver server?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by electric, Jul 11, 2016.

1. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Hello,

We currently have ns1 & ns2 servers running cpanel DNS-Only, with around 2000 zone files. Now we want to another nameserver (ns3).

How do we do this? We've already created the new server and installed DNS-Only... but how do we sync all the zonefiles from ns1/ns2 servers to the new ns3 server?

Thanks!

2. electric

electric Well-Known Member

I found the "WHM-->DNS Functions-->Synchronize DNS Records" page, but
    I'm a little confused which options I need to choose.. and on which server I run it.

Do I log into WHM on the new "ns3" nameserver we just setup, and select "Synchronize all zones to this server only" option and also enable the "Synchronize zones that are not configured on this server" checkbox?

Or do I run that on all the nameservers?
    Or do I run that all our web hosting servers that are connected to the nameservers, and NOT the nameservers?

Thanks for any help.

#2 electric, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I suggest accessing the cPanel DNS-Only server via Web Host Manager choosing the following option within "WHM Home >> DNS Functions >> Synchronize DNS Records":

"Synchronize all zones to this server only"

Choose the "Synchronize zones that are not configured on this server" option to copy all of the zone files, regardless of whether they are local, to this server.

Note that it's not advised to select "Synchronize zones that are not configured on this server" when accessing this option from your hosting server's WHM interface unless you want to add zones from the other hosting server.

Thank you.