The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel dns only question - how to assign IP address the NS?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mitk, Jan 9, 2011.

1. mitk

mitk Well-Known Member

In the WHM for cpanel DNS only is it now showing the IP address for the name servers, I have tired to assign then in whm but it times out. so I am wondering where I can set them in the command line.

I see a couple posts about the /etc/resolve.conf but when I look on my main server my NS's are not listed there.

2. apfan

apfan Member

-vi resolv.conf then edit the file with your nameserver.

3. mitk

mitk Well-Known Member

Then what is /etc/nameserverips for?

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    /etc/nameserverips is only used to display the information in Main >> Networking Setup >> Nameserver IPs. It is not used in any way in the actual operation of your nameservers.

The only settings that determine whether your nameservers work is that you have the correct NS and A records in the zone file for your nameservers' domain name. Nothing needs to be entered in Nameserver IPs, and I have successfully run nameservers on more than one occasion without ever entering anything in this area. It is provided for your reference only, and does not play a role in the operation of BIND/named or NSD.

/etc/resolv.conf is not related to the configuration of the nameservers you will run on your server. /etc/resolv.conf contains a list of nameservers that your server uses to resolve domains that it does not host. If good, working nameservers are not listed in /etc/resolv.conf, your server will not be able to resolve outside domains, and this will have consequences such as the server not being able to send mail.

/etc/resolv.conf is not related to the nameservers that you will host, and in fact, for redundancy reasons it is best not to list your own nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf. Most data centers host resolvers for their customers' use, and these are usually the best resolvers to list in /etc/resolv.conf.

If you absolutely want to see nameservers listed in Main >> DNS Functions >> Nameserver IPs, then you can turn Off the setting for Enable WHOIS lookups for the nameserver IP manager in Main >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings, and then edit /etc/nameserverips manually. However, I do want to make it clear that the Nameserver IPs area is provided only for your reference, and it has no effect on the actual operation of your nameservers.

5. mitk

mitk Well-Known Member

cPanelJared,

This sounds like the settings/setup for a typical cpanel server but my issue is with cpanel dns only software.