The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel DNS only Server.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by cwalke32477, Apr 3, 2010.

1. cwalke32477

cwalke32477 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just purchased a cpanel dns only server, and I am a little confused as to the proer setup.

Which way do I sync things? I currently have both the main server and the DNS server to synchronise. I tried figuring out through the documentation, but none of it is reall clear, to me.

Main server:
    ns1
    ns2
    All new zones are created here, as this is the hosting server

DNS server
    ns3

So if I am in the WHM for the main server, and I add the DNS server to the cluster, so that the DNS server "sees" the main servers zone data, do I set it as a standalone, or as synchronised?

If I am in the DNS server's WHM, and I add the main server to it's cluster, do I set the main server as synchronise, or standalone, within the DNS server's control panel?

Thanks,
    Chris Walker

2. MikeDVB

MikeDVB Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Depending on where the changes will happen will determine what you want to set.

If zones will ever be created/edited/deleted manually on the full WHM server then you can just set it to synchronize to the stand-alone DNS server and leave that one set as stand-alone but if you might edit DNS on the DNS only server you will want it to synchronize as well.

If you have multiple WHM servers you could have them all synchronize to that one stand-alone DNS only server and then have that one synchronize back to them all so you would effectively be linking all server's DNS via that DNS only server.

3. cwalke32477

cwalke32477 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok but I am confused about the interface due to some conflicting info.
    On the WHM server "where all DNS changes are added and made" When i add the DNS server in the list, do I set sychronise or standalone?

On the DNS server, which will handle multiple WHM server, when I add the WHM server to the list, do I set those as synch or stanalone

4. Rahxie

Rahxie Member

You don't add the main server as a cluster in DNSOnly. You add the DNSOnly servers to the main servers and set them to sync.

On the DNSOnly server set it to standalone.