Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

cPanel DNS Only - support for non cPanel servers?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by monaghan, Aug 13, 2013.

1. monaghan

monaghan Well-Known Member

I have a couple of cPanel servers using DNS clustering and am about to put in a cPanel DNS only into the cluster.

Is it possible to use this same server as a secondary DNS for other non-cPanel servers? I expect to have to setup the zone files manually and don't expect the free cPanel product to manage my other zones, I just don't want the DNS only functions to break the non-cPanel zones.

I'm trying to save IPv4 addresses by doubling up the functionality rather than running 2 small DNS servers.

Will this work OK?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PenguinInternet

PenguinInternet Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    If you set up the zones manually then you can use cPanel DNS servers to provide DNS for anything - it's basically just a frontend for the Bind DNS server

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

Yes, it's fine to add in your own zones to a cPanel DNS-Only server. They will not be managed, but they will function as they would with a standard installation of Bind.

Thank you.