The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel DNS Only to Full cPanel

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by CollateralFX, Apr 21, 2010.

1. CollateralFX

CollateralFX Active Member

Hello there,

We currently have a simple Pentium-D 3.0Ghz machine with 4GB of ram and plenty of hard drive space and we currently use it as a DNS only machine. We want to upgrade the machine to full cPanel. Does anyone know if you can simply upgrade cPanel DNS only to full pledge cPanel without an OS Reload? We would much greatly want to avoid the OS reload fee.

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    A clean cPanel install on a fresh, minimal OS installation is highly recommended and is the only supported method; attempting to convert an existing system is not supported and attempting to do so would be performed at one's own risk.

I cannot guarantee this will work, but I would first ensure the system has a cPanel license provisioned, otherwise the attempted process is not at all a possibility. Second, I would manually edit the cPanel update configuration file to look for the proper build tree; following this, I would perform a forced cPanel update (upcp) via root SSH access.

Here is the path to the cPanel update configuration file:
    Code:
    /etc/cpupdate.conf
    For the contents of the aforementioned file, here is an example of the difference between a cPanel system and that of a cPanel DNSONLY system:
    • A cPanel system:
      Code:
      CPANEL=release
    • A cPanel DNSONLY system:
      Code:
      CPANEL=dnsonly

MOD EDIT:

For anyone coming to this thread, please note it was written in 2010. Information on this topic with updated instructions is now available at:

How to Convert a cPanel & WHM Server into a cPanel DNSONLY Server

Thanks.

#2 cPanelDon, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
  3. dansgalaxy

dansgalaxy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Apologies for digging up old thread.

Just wondering, while I understand this is not officially supported, but is there any reason why it shouldn't work? And did this work successfully?

4. CoNfOuNd

CoNfOuNd Member

I did this yesterday on a server and it worked perfectly fine. Nothing terrible has happened [yet].