The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel DNS Only?...?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jhyland87, Aug 29, 2009.

1. jhyland87

jhyland87 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, so I was rather excited about having external DNS services, the ability to use just a few nameservers over multiple servers under the same segment released a lot of possibilities that I was wanting.

I downloaded cPanel DNS Only on a crash server I have with a development version of cPanel/WHM On it for beta testing, and I gotta say, im not that impressed. Either its just not all its cracked up to be in my head, or im doing something totally wrong.

It looks like its basically WHM, with limited options, which is kinda weird that you pay extra for cPanel/WHM (around $25 a month), then install DNS Only, and remove the better half of the options, kinda makes me thing that cPanel DNS Only should be a release in itself, for like $10.

Anyways, I wasnt able to find a spec of documentation on the cPanel.net website, nothing at all, so im kind of in the dark as far as working on it. Do you guys have any documentation at all? Maybe something that will show me how to work it? I have no idea how to work it at all.

How does this give you the ability to point ns1/2.nameserver.com to multiple servers, the way I imagined it was you have ns1/2.nameserver.com set on the dns servers, then within the DNS servers, you have records for the domains that you host on svr1/2/3/4 etc, which will then direct traffic to that server, but I dont seem to find that on here.

Thanks!

2. jhyland87

jhyland87 Well-Known Member

3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

If the documentation doesn't help enough or you find you need more help, please contact me and I'll try to give you a hand with that.

I have setup hundreds of Cpanel : DNS Only servers!

However, I should probably mention that I recently found a major bug in
    the download of a current release and one of the mirrors may possibly be
    corrupted so if things don't look exactly right when installing DNS Only,
    you might have found the bad copy too. I have already notified Cpanel
    about the issue and spoken to a couple people about it.

Otherwise, setting up a "DNS Only" server should be pretty straightforward ...

Download the DNS Only installer from the main site with WGET ...

Run the installer that you download

Go through the setup wizard

Once running, you'll need to go to your regular Cpanel servers and configure
    clustering to syncronize with the new DNS Only server and update the zone
    for the DNS server name with the DNS server's IP and go register the same
    host and IP number at your domain registrar.

That's the basics ;)