The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel dns transfer to regualar bind server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by neocontrol, Nov 21, 2007.

1. neocontrol

neocontrol Member

I really hate what cpaneldnsonly does to a machine. It'd be really great if I can just use bind and have it transfer over without all the fluff.

I know it's possible but I'm looking for a guide or a how to of some sort to kind of walk me through it all.

Mostly need help setting up the named.conf file.

Does anyone have any good links or docs themselves?

Thanks for any insight.

2. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

If you have setup the BIND properly then there is nothing else other than copy/pasting. Copy the zone entries from /etc/named.conf and append them to /etc/named.conf of your BIND and transfer the zone files from cPanel DNS server to your BIND server and restart the named.

3. kkargel

kkargel Active Member

hmm.. what I did was to set up a bind server, list the new bind server as a secondary dns server on the domain registration, put an NS entry in the cPanel dns for the new server, then installed a slave zone on the new server and it updated from the cpanel dns.

Worked great. I believe that so long as the cPanel dns has an NS entry for a target box in a zone file it will allow zone transfers to that IP address.

4. rpereyra

rpereyra Member

Hi

This setup works with the latest cpanel versions ? I just have a standar bind server and don't want to use cpanel dnsonly.

Any hint ?

Thanks in advance.

roberto