The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel DNS yum excludes apache, php

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jcarney1987, Jan 10, 2012.

1. jcarney1987

jcarney1987 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is there any reason that cpanel dns excludes these from being installed? I don't see any reason this would interfear wtih cpanel dns in anyways. Or is cpanel DNS just a stripped version of cpanel/whm and that was just something that was left behind?

2. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Cpanel DNS only is just that. Its not designed to do more than run a external DNS server clustered to a full Cpanel server. You can however run apache on the machine, however you will have to configure it manually.

3. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I wonder why would you like to have apache + php on the DNS only server! If you need to have these on it, better purchase a normal cPanel license and enable only necessary services ( which will intirun can be the part of your cluster as well ). It is better to have these softwares installed on the server this way, which will you provide the option to maintain / upgrade stuffs ( such manul configuration is a mess at least for me ).

PS: yum excludes apache + php in normal cPanel as well. It is due to, cPanel compile them in from source

Thank you,
    Nibin.

#3 NixTree, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. n3tph4t

n3tph4t Active Member

I'm looking to do exactly the same as the OP, why? Because I have a CPanel server farm, these servers are all full CPanel/WHM licences.
    I then have a further machine which I intend to install Nagios, Cacti and Smokeping onto in order to provide monitoring services outside of the farm and it makes sense to maximise that machine by including it as part of the DNS cluster.

I don't require full cpanel capabilities as this is not a client server (no receiving of mail, no quota'ing etc etc).

So, I would like to install CPanel DNS-Only, add Apache, MySQL and PHP, Install my monitoring applications and ensure they all play nicely with each other.

At the risk of hijacking the OP's thread, has anyone achieved this without headache or shall I just not install DNS Only at all and just do Yum installations of the services and configure them manually?

Many thanks