Cpanel DNS yum excludes apache, php

jcarney1987

Registered
Jan 10, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Is there any reason that cpanel dns excludes these from being installed? I don't see any reason this would interfear wtih cpanel dns in anyways. Or is cpanel DNS just a stripped version of cpanel/whm and that was just something that was left behind?

dave9000

Apr 7, 2003
arkansas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Cpanel DNS only is just that. Its not designed to do more than run a external DNS server clustered to a full Cpanel server. You can however run apache on the machine, however you will have to configure it manually.

NixTree

Aug 19, 2010
Gods Own Country
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hello,

I wonder why would you like to have apache + php on the DNS only server! If you need to have these on it, better purchase a normal cPanel license and enable only necessary services ( which will intirun can be the part of your cluster as well ). It is better to have these softwares installed on the server this way, which will you provide the option to maintain / upgrade stuffs ( such manul configuration is a mess at least for me ).

PS: yum excludes apache + php in normal cPanel as well. It is due to, cPanel compile them in from source

Thank you,
Nibin.

Last edited:

n3tph4t

Jan 31, 2004
Hello,

I wonder why would you like to have apache + php on the DNS only server! If you need to have these on it, better purchase a normal cPanel license and enable only necessary services ( which will intirun can be the part of your cluster as well ). It is better to have these softwares installed on the server this way, which will you provide the option to maintain / upgrade stuffs ( such manul configuration is a mess at least for me ).

PS: yum excludes apache + php in normal cPanel as well. It is due to, cPanel compile them in from source

Thank you,
Nibin.
I'm looking to do exactly the same as the OP, why? Because I have a CPanel server farm, these servers are all full CPanel/WHM licences.
I then have a further machine which I intend to install Nagios, Cacti and Smokeping onto in order to provide monitoring services outside of the farm and it makes sense to maximise that machine by including it as part of the DNS cluster.

I don't require full cpanel capabilities as this is not a client server (no receiving of mail, no quota'ing etc etc).

So, I would like to install CPanel DNS-Only, add Apache, MySQL and PHP, Install my monitoring applications and ensure they all play nicely with each other.

At the risk of hijacking the OP's thread, has anyone achieved this without headache or shall I just not install DNS Only at all and just do Yum installations of the services and configure them manually?

Many thanks