The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel DNSONLY Startup Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by frozenblues, Jan 8, 2008.

1. frozenblues

frozenblues Registered

I did a pile of searching in these forums and elsewhere to solve a problem I had getting Cpanel DNSONLY (or DNS ONLY or DNS-ONLY for those doing searches) synching properly with my main WHM server. Judging by posts, others have been grappling with the same issues.

After getting DNSONLY installed (actually was a VPS template option with my provider) I did Configure Cluster on both the WHM and DNSONLY servers per the Quickstart Guide, and did RESTART SERVICES / DNS SERVER on the WHM and then the DNSONLY servers.

Indications were that everything had synched as intended, but I couldn't dig a domain on the DNSONLY server. (e.g. dig @dnsonlyserver.com domaintobelookedup.com). Checked for zone files and they were copied over to the DNSONLY server just fine. Then went around in circles for a while before learning that the domains weren't copied into named.conf on the DNSONLY server.

Digging through posts on these forums I found the solution, namely to run /scripts/rebuildnamedconf on the DNSONLY server, which inserted the domain entries in named.conf, after which I restarted named on both servers (not sure if that was necessary).

Along the way, I had put security restrictions into named.conf

acl "trusted" {
    127.0.0.1;
    //add your trusted ip's
    };

with corresponding entries into the options section...

allow-query { any; };
    allow-recursion { trusted; };
    allow-notify { trusted; };
    allow-transfer { trusted; };

...and, based on tips from others, added A records on the WHM server for both nameservers (which then synched over to the DNSONLY server).

Now it's all up and running hands-off and gets updated automatically when I add or delete accounts on the WHM server or otherwise change zone files there.

Hope this helps others, and feel free to add on anything I've missed.

#1 frozenblues, Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008