The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel DNSOnly

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by daferub, Jul 14, 2012.

1. daferub

daferub Member

Hello!

I'm running cPanel DNSOnly and my question is if I can install csf (ConfigServer Security & Firewall) not interfering the correct functioning of the server.

Awaiting replies!

Regards

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello daferub,

You can install CSF, but please use the CSF cPanel script (install.cpanel.sh file) when installing it. This will open the appropriate ports for cPanel and WHM.

For DNS only, you can then look at the ports it allowed and remove any that aren't needed. DNS only most definitely requires ports 53 and 953. MySQL runs on port 3306 locally for cPhulk Brute Force Protection. You also would need port 25 opened for email alerts to send from the machine. Port 2087 would be required to load WHM for DNS only. The other ports are your decision. FTP doesn't really need to run.

Thanks!

3. actiion

actiion Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It is a good idea to install csf on cPanel dns-only 11.40, or is the default installation of dns-only secure enough already?

Thank You

4. Nick57

Nick57 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, very good idea to install csf, also move ssh port away from 22, and install cse and cmq as well from configserver.