The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Documentation - Testers Required

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SoftmegUK, Apr 20, 2003.

1. SoftmegUK

SoftmegUK Well-Known Member

I have got the basic scripts done for my cPanel documentation and I require some testers to try it out on various servers over the next few days.

All you have to do is download and upload the files that are in the zip file (attached) and change the settings in the conf.inc.php file.

You then need to email me at eddy@softmeg.com so I can give you a license to use it, all you need to provide is the website IP the files are and the URL to the files and the license will be granted as soon as I recieve it.

I hope to hear from you!

Note: There is no usuable content as of yet, this will be progressivly added over the next week. Once completed you will granted a 3 month free license of the full product as a reward.

Thanks
    Edward Newman

Attached Files:

2. SoftmegUK

Thank you very much!

Any other takers...

3. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

saved, ill take a look at it sometime.

Hrm, if you want to do is license wise, well then i suggest a better method than what you are using now. This is to easy to bypass.

And it doesnt really mater, and person that really wants to take the time will get past your security.

#3 X-Istencedotcom, Apr 20, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2003
  4. SoftmegUK

If you've looked at the code then you've probably mistaken how this works. You can edit the code as much as you would like, you would still not get into the files. They are protected with a .htaccess and each server IP is added when a license is bought, from then on its up to you what you do with that license.

#4 SoftmegUK, Apr 20, 2003
  5. X-Istencedotcom

Yeah, i got that. easy to bypass. If you know a server that is running this then spoof that IP in a reqeust and you get full access. Plus what if your site is down, that means that people cant get to the documentation even if the host where the main index.php is hosted is up.

6. X-Istencedotcom

Thats what i was going at. I have a strange way of saying something.

Add my home IP 67.84.134.190 please. Thanks. I want to just take a look.

#6 X-Istencedotcom, Apr 20, 2003
  7. SoftmegUK

You are right and I did think about this, may I remind you this is just a test release, thats why I am not realeasing any of the files as of yet and when I do release example files they will remain on my server, just wanted to give the feel that its customiseable.

I'm also working on the fact that most webhosts have more than one server, so information may be different from one webserver to another.

Thanks for your suggestions tho guys, feedback is what works best!

Thanks!

8. SoftmegUK

IP address added.

9. X-Istencedotcom

thanks.

Since your still not officially selling this, ill let everyone see. If you want the link removed Softmeg let me know, but i doubt youll really care at this stage ( i hope ).

http://breached.x-istence.com:81/cpanel-docs/

Dont hit it to hard eh? My homeserver will hold but i doubt my ISP will like it.

#9 X-Istencedotcom, Apr 20, 2003
  10. SoftmegUK

Remember, like I said there isnt ANY documentation on there. Only an example of the layout and design. I plan to add some taster documentation in the next day or so.

11. SoftmegUK

X-Istencedotcom, you can customise it via the conf.inc.php file and change the settings if you so wish! But otherwise I don't havr a problem at all, any suggestions would be welcome.

12. X-Istencedotcom

yeah, just wanted to see what it would look like. Doesnt look to hard to me. If you need a good PHP coder, come over to http://x-istence.com/ and leave me a message, ill help out with this.

13. SoftmegUK

Thank you very much, i am quite strongly preficiant at PHP myself, just I thought this doesn't really require masses of PHP, its designed to be straight forward and the minimum of fuss... less code, less to go wrong lol.

14. X-Istencedotcom

Well, if you want to make it really customizable, i am willing to help out with the backend and other stuff like that. Right now my entire site, not including the forums is template driven, i can add an entire new template and make the entire site look TOTALLY different.

15. SoftmegUK

Same with my site lol, I am thinking to making it completly customisable but then again its just making it more complicated than its worth I think. Having Skins for cPanel is one thing, but for documents, no ones really going to mind as long as it is layed out simple and had extra features like a search etc.

16. X-Istencedotcom

Well, if you want to sell it, most admins would want to make it fit in with their site it being really customizable would be a big thing. Thats what i am going at.

17. SoftmegUK

Yeah it would probably be a good idea, and shouldn't be to hard to impliment.

Any other suggestions? Then I can work solidly and get a real good example out hopefully by the end of tomorrow/early tuesday.

One question, what skin should I base screen shots on, I would think myself XSkin seeing as it seems now to be the most popular choice...

18. X-Istencedotcom

That really depends. You can make a choice, but i suggest basing it on bluelagoon, and then if the customer/admin wants they can select in some sort of options if they would rather have screenshots of xSkin. This way the customer/admin stays happy.

19. SoftmegUK

The trouble is that in some situations intructions for bluelagoon and xskin are different from each other. All thought I guess instead of telling for example how to get to the mail management page you say "Go to the mail management page" and then explain for example "In blue lagoon you get there like this," in "In Xskin you get there like this etc etc"

20. X-Istencedotcom

write 2 different help files, with the help of the open community it should work just fine.

But your way would work as well, but that wouldnt allow for "new" help files for "new" skins.