The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPanel download limit - anyway to change it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xologist, Feb 11, 2013.

1. xologist

xologist Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So my host keeps telling me that I can not create "Full Website Backup", and that I can't download "Home Directory" because my account is over 3GB.
    Honestly, that is the biggest B.S. I've ever heard, so that means that I can't make backups.. or in fact, anyone with more than 3GB, which would be a lot of people.

So they told me to instead use this command on SSH, and get Root access:
    /scripts/pkgacct username

What I don't understand is why I could create backups of any size in Hostgator, and I can't with this new host :(

Is there any way that I can increase the download limit from 3GB to at LEAST 5 ?

2. Jeff Shotnik

Jeff Shotnik Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If there is a limit, it would be managed by your hosting provider. If you generated the backup via cPanel, you'll see the backup archive right within your home directory, so you can download it via FTP instead of HTTP. You should also be able to download the archive via cPanel's file manager.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You mentioned they recommended to use root access. Do you have root access to this server? Or, do you simply have a shared hosting account? You will not be able to access SSH as root if you only have a shared hosting plan.

Thank you.

4. xologist

xologist Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    @Jeff Shotnik
    There is also a download limit cap on cPanel's file manager.

@ cPanel Michael:
    I can get root access to the server, however, I have not chosen to do so yet. If I break anything with root ssh they charge $120/h for fixes.
    I am on a VPS plan.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There is no limit placed on the size of backups generated through cPanel. Could you clarify if you receive an actual error message when you generate the account backups through cPanel? Or, is your hosting provider simply contacting you to let you know your server load is too high? You may need to address the load issue with your hosting provider if there is no actual error message in cPanel.

Thank you.

6. xologist

xologist Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I get no errors when generating a CPanel backup, but it won't make one either.

The host says that they don't allow CPanel backups over 3GB to be generated.. so in other words.. im f'ed up.

- As for downloading things of off File Manager, they always start downloading, then speed goes down.. down.. down.. and times out.... I have to wait like 15 minutes, then click resume download. Otherwise it wont download at all.