The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel email and MX records

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by MDanz, Apr 15, 2014.

1. MDanz

MDanz Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My colleague has purchased a domain through Google apps and the hosting is at GoDaddy. The Google app domain nameservers are pointed at GoDaddy hosting. So we are now trying to set up emails for the domain e.g. user1@domain.com.

I have created the emails in cpanel, here are the CNAME(mail) & MX settings i changed both at cpanel DNS manager & Google apps DNS console:

/http://oi57.tinypic.com/20k1usi.jpg

I changed the MX records yesterday, i know it may take 48 hours to propagate but i'd like to confirm i have done things correctly.

When i try to send an email to user1@domain.com i get these errors:

Do i have to change anything(SMTP??) or do i have to wait for propagation to finish?

Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. MDanz

MDanz Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

The cPanel server. I've changed the MX records to that of the cpanel server at DNS control.

4. MDanz

MDanz Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've phoned GoDaddy and they confirmed i have the correct nameservers & mx records, this is a cpanel problem. When i send a message to a cpanel email i created(mdanso@domain.com), the email bounces back.

How do i solve this? How do i turn on SMTP Authentication?

#4 MDanz, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you check to make sure the domain name is in the /etc/localdomains file on the cPanel server, and it's not in the /etc/remotedomains file?

Thank you.

6. MDanz

MDanz Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There isn't any localdomain or remotedomain directory. Here is the directory for etc;
    oi62.tinypic.com/29boq41.jpg

I've been on the phone with GoDaddy 4 times and they've made sure i've done the correct nameservers, MX records and TXT records. Anytime i send an email to any email account i created in cpanel i get a bounceback with the 550 error message

I really need to fix this.

#6 MDanz, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  7. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    localdomains and remotedomains are files, not directories, in /etc.

Your access level you selected in the forum is "Root Administrator", but the screenshot you took looks like the listing of a cPanel account's directory. That may be the source of the confusion. There is an /etc directory that only the root administrator has access to, and that is what contains localdomains and remotedomains. However, there is also an etc directory (note the lack of the preceding slash, so it is a relative path, not an absolute path) in each account's home directory, and that is what is in your screenshot. The etc in your account is completely different from the /etc that the sever administrator has access to.

If you only have a cPanel account log-in and are not the server's root administrator, then only your hosting provider can make changes to the localdomains and remotedomains files for you.

8. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Your access is listed as root administrator, this is why cPanelMichael recommended looking at the files: /etc/localdomains and /etc/remotedomains. This is done from the command prompt, not from the cPanel interface you are looking at. Do you have root/shell access to the server? If not, then ask GoDaddy to check for you if the domain is in /etc/remotedomains and if so, have them remove it from there and add it to /etc/localdomains. Then test and see if that solves the problem.