The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Email Migration

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Cheerful Marketing, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Cheerful Marketing

Cheerful Marketing Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Dear all,

One of our company domains, example.com, was recently migrated to a new web host. However, we found that the emails from example.com were not transferred to the new cPanel. The web host is quoting us an additional fee for the transfer of emails and they have been very adamant about this. Obviously, we are unwilling to pay the additional charge. An additional complication is that the web host has created duplicate 'example.com' email accounts that are already sending/receiving new emails.

I'm now looking into how to transfer the old emails to the new cPanel, while retaining the newly sent/received emails. I have downloaded the 'example.com' and 'mail' folders from the old cPanel with FileZilla, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Can anyone help me with this matter? Many thanks in advance.

#1 Cheerful Marketing, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2016
  2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :),

I will suggest you please take current email folder backup on your new account and then overwrite your mail folder with the old one which one you have downloaded it from your old account.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can find information on where email data is stored on the following document:

How to Manually Migrate Accounts to cPanel from Unsupported Control Panels - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation.

However, you may encounter mail permission/ownership issues if you are unable to run "/scripts/mailperm" on the system (it requires root access).

Thank you.