The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel email not Sending or kicking back 550 errors

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by InstantImager, Jan 23, 2015.

1. InstantImager

InstantImager Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have cPanel Hosting, cPanel Email and Workspace Email through GoDaddy. After contacting them several times, I still haven't been able to resolve two issues with my cPanel emails: cPanel seems to send to some emails but not others and it won't kick back 550 errors (email does not exist.) I've tested numerous settings over the course of a week, here and there, along with calling GoDaddy but nothing seems to work.

Background:
    - "domainA.com" set up as my primary domain through cPanel, which also has its own website hosted website
    - I have several other domains set up in cPanel, hosted as websites, including "domainB.com"
    - I had an info@domainB.com email address originally set up through GoDaddy's Workspace Email but deleted this account. No emails at domainB now exist in Workspace Email, including Forwards.
    - MX records in GoDaddy's DNS Manager (not cPanel): mail.domainB.com with 0 as Priority. No other MX records exist.
    - The other A, CNAME, TXT and SRV records are all set up as shown here:
    http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/8852/configuring-dns-for-your-cpanel-domain
    - These records were inputted and confirmed by a GoDaddy Hosting Service Rep as a starting point for me to follow for any other emails to set up in cPanel

cPanel:
    - Email: myname@domainB.com set up with default 250MB quota
    - MX Record for domainB.com mail.domainB.com with 0 as Priority. No other MX records exist. Routing set to Local Mail Exchanger.
    - Default Address: Set to :fail: "No such person at this address."

Problems:
    - Emailing from cPanel myname@domainB.com to myname@myGoDaddyWorkspaceEmail.com works and visa versa
    - Emailing to info@domainC.com does not work: no error message or bounceback. I get a Blackhole message in Track Delivery in cPanel.
    - I check info@domainC.com; email doesn't show up in Inbox or SPAM confirming Blackhole.

Reviewing Track Delivery:
    Event: success success
    User: mycPanelusername
    Domain: domainB.com
    Sender: myname@domainB.com
    Sent Time: Jan 23, 2015 3:28:15 PM
    Sender Host: localhost
    Sender IP: my.IP.address.1
    Authentication: dovecot_login
    Spam Score:
    Recipient: info@domainC.com
    Delivery User: mycPanelusername
    Delivery Domain: domainC.com
    Delivered To: :blackhole:
    Router: virtual_aliases

Review info:
    - myname@domainB.com email seems to be going through my cPanel username instead of my mail.domainB.com MX record.

My email correspondence seems hinged on this:
    - domainA.com MX Record in GoDaddy DNS Manager and cPanel set to:
    0 smtp.secureserver.net
    10 mailstore1.secureserver.net
    Remote Routing
    - Default Address Maintenance for domainA set to :fail: "No such person at this address."
    - All domainA.com currently exists in GoDaddy Workspace Email (SecureServer.net settings in DNS)

Query:
    - Where/why is the Blackhole occurring with the info@ address or incorrect email addresses?
    - Why are no 550 :fail: emails happening with incorrect email addresses?

--------------------------
    I appreciate your help on this as I've been working on this issue for close to a week now, with off an on conversations with GoDaddy - most of which have been unhelpful. Any pointers would be great! Thanks in advance!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Do you have root access to the server itself? If not, you will need to continue working with your hosting provider on this issue so they can review /var/log/exim_mainlog to get a better idea of what's happening to the emails. Note that if you are using remote MX records, then email (including email accounts) are not handled by the cPanel server at all.

Thank you.

3. InstantImager

InstantImager Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for the advice! I called GoDaddy again and told them your suggestion. They created a ticket and shortly they had my mail up and running. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the problem was as I never received one in the confirmation email.

Just a note to others that may have problems with invalid email entries (550 errors) using cPanel through GoDaddy:

GoDaddy does not have a bounceback program in place for cPanel email. I was told by a Rep that the email message is sent out and relayed but is, essentially, deleted if the address does not exist. The only thing missing is a bounceback message, through GoDaddy's return relays, stating that it was invalid. This means that the message isn't sitting on your VPS, eating up disk space, and it should mean that you won't get blacklisted if you send out a normal amount of emails (under 250/day), short of some dubious means. A good estimate of bounce backs per day on any given server is probably 1% or less, but you'd think a set up would be in place anyway...

There is a work around to this problem but it requires using a third-party application like Outlook or Thunderbird, which I'm sure many already use. Setting your email to IMAP in these applications WILL send a bounce back email stating which accounts do not exist. This error message won't show up in your cPanel webmail but at least you'll know you have an invalid address. You can find this result below which the Rep and I found on Google through a little searching:

howtoforge.com/community/threads/roundcube-no-bounce-messages.22961/

#3 InstantImager, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
  4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. webguy_ddm

webguy_ddm Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I currently have the same issue. GoDaddy VPS / WHM.

before we get started. I have 4 domain names.

3 are domain names hosted (example.COM, example2.COM and example3.COM)

example and example4 emails are in WORKSPACE and one is setup through Cpanel (example3).

Cpanel MX is set to Local, 0 and destination MAIL.example3.COM. it was working correcting until, I did ADDON DOMAIN to example4.

This is when things started having the same issue as mentioned above.

example3 (Cpanel email) can not send out mail to some email on LOCAL SERVER or OUTSIDE. I get an error message "No Such User Here" .

example3 has no issue sending email to example.com, but gets error sending to example4.com.

Need help diagnosing this issue since I have a VPS Godaddy, I dont have support from them. I have full access to WHM also

#5 webguy_ddm, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
  6. webguy_ddm

webguy_ddm Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I just spoke to high level GoDaddy Server Management Tech. According to GoDaddy. any services hosted on Workspace Email will not talk to any services hosted in Cpanel. Unless you DELETE your Workspace email services and bring it all to Cpanel

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you elaborate on how this affects the existing issue you are facing?

Thank you.

8. webguy_ddm

webguy_ddm Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Mike, my two emails hosted on Godaddy Workspace Email server has issues emailing my cpanel email.

Cpanel email does not like its own email.

I have the users on cpanel, when one emails the other i get a 550 Error. Or if I send an email from cpanel to email on Workspace i get 500 error.

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You will need to ensure the domain name is in the /etc/remotedomains file if email for the domain name is handled on a remote server. You can do this by choosing "Remote Mail Exchanger" when editing the DNS zone or MX record for the domain name in cPanel or WHM. Keep in mind that you should not attempt to create email account or send email through the cPanel server for a domain name that has it's email handled on a remote server.

Thank you.

10. webguy_ddm

webguy_ddm Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I will make that change now and test it. I will report back soon

11. webguy_ddm

webguy_ddm Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Ok I made changes to domains hosted in Cpanel Email and Web Domain hosting.

I have not received any errors.

For those, this might work. As Mike the administrator mentioned.

If you have an email already hosted on GoDaddy Workspace Email. That service is not part of your hosting. So within Cpanel MX Entry set what ever email is hosted outside the Cpanel to REMOTE MAIL EXCHANGER. with an MX record of 0, mail.domainname.com

If you have set up an email within Cpanel service. Set the MX Entry to LOCAL MAIL EXCHANGER.

You shell not see a 500 or 550 error.

12. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator