The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel ending MySQL support?

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by sparek-3, Jul 11, 2016.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I thought I remembered reading some where that cPanel was going to move to MariaDB either by default or just dropping MySQL completely. But I'm not able to find that any where in my searches now.

Is this the case? Perhaps I dreamed all of this.

Is this set for any particular upcoming version of cPanel?

We are still using MySQL on all of our servers and I'm trying to get an idea of what timetable I should be looking at for moving to MariaDB.

I can't remember if cPanel was planning to fully drop MySQL or just heavily suggest that users start using MariaDB. Either way, a move to MariaDB would appear to be on the horizon.

2. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    MariaDB, MySQL , pretty much the same thing ...
    As far as dropping support, there's already a number of OS vendors that have done so, in favor of MariaDB, given the commercialized nature of MySQL

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The discussion you are referring to is found under the comments section at:

MariaDB support

MySQL is still installed by default on cPanel version 58. There's currently no official time frame to offer on when that might change, or when support for MySQL in favor of MariaDB might occur, however notifications and blog posts would definitely proceed that type of change in order to give users sufficient time to prepare.

Thank you.

4. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    According to this comment from the Feature request post, cPanel was dropping their support for MySQL in 11.54. This obviously wasn't the case, since MySQL is still being installed by default on cPanel 58. And that's fine. I was just wanting to know if there was a set in stone cPanel release where MySQL would be removed in favor of MariaDB, and if there was, what version that might be.

But I'm gathering that there isn't a "set in stone" schedule for when MySQL will be removed. And that's fine too.

But I also like what Kenneth said in that feature request comment - "Right now everything we do that touches MySQL requires testing against both 5.5 and 5.6. Adding MariaDB adds even more overhead to our processes. Reducing this overhead makes it easier for us to move quickly, and provide more features in a timely way." So it does make sense to eventually pull MySQL and switch entirely to MariaDB. I should also note that that right now was over two years ago.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Note the comment in-question is just a hypothetical scenario aimed at showing what the process of phasing out MySQL in favor of MariaDB would look like.

It's not meant to place an actual timeline on when that might happen.

Thank you.