The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Engineer Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cessnaman, Sep 4, 2009.

1. cessnaman

cessnaman Registered
    PartnerNOC

Hi,

A customer of mine claims that he got this message claiming that cPanel says I am running cPanel on a Virtual Server instead of a VPS.

I don't think it would be possible to install cPanel in a Virtual Server account, but here I what he sent me:

Dear Matthew,

after doing some research with the information you provided me it seems the server is running on a Virtual Host. cPanel was never designed to run on a virtual host. It was designed to run on a VPS Server that's it. This will cause cPanel to continue crashing. Amung other things such as low disk space and improper configuration. i noticed these were the major things that stood out.

Nick Fakorold
    cPanel Engineer
    cPanel Inc.

If this is a real employee why is he making determinations about my servers without looking at them?

I also find it hard to believe that cPanel would say they can only run on a VPS. They run on hardware servers all the time, the license just costs more.

The customer has a problem with morons putting cnames where they are making A records. If he decides for some reason to restart his VPS, of course Bind will die. That isn't even a cPanel issue. It is a BIND issue thing.

Is this a real letter from cPanel? If so, why are they saying this stuff about the type of system I am selling with no knowledge of it?

Thank you,

2. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Howdy,

1. What type of solution did you purchase? From the sounds of it, you may not be able to run cPanel because you don't have all of the system requirements.

2. cPanel staff sign there tickets like so:

Eric Ellis
    cPanel Technical Analyst

we don't bother to put our website in the address, most folks know where we are.

3. I don't know of a "Nick Fakorold" here at cPanel.

3. cessnaman

cessnaman Registered
    PartnerNOC

Thanks.

Oh I know he is low on resources. He has a VPS that frankly has run out of everything and he is on borrowed disk space right now.

I also highly suspected that this was a fake signature. I used to work for PowerVPS (Defender) and have never seen a signature like that.

I also know most of you can spell "among".

Thanks,

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Cessnaman:

I doubt very seriously if that email message were legitimate and if it were then I would advise cpanel think about getting rid of that guy because he is very clearly "a moron" where Cpanel and server management is concerned base on several of the completely absurd statement made in the message you just quoted.

In my opinion, it's just spam! :cool:

(I suspect the message may be a ploy at social engineering to to try to trick your user into providing them with login information to try gain access to the client's VPS server noting the specific wording and methods used in the message)

If you are indeed actually having a real issue with that Client's VPS server, you got real legitimate Cpanel support as well as a number of actual high level professional consultants around here, like myself, who can all help you get to the bottom of the real issue at hand very, very quickly and really get things straightened out.

However as for the email that you received, file it --> TRASH CAN! ;)

PS: After thinking about it a bit, one thing that concerns me is that your client may have already given access
    to the server to this impostor. If that is the case, I would advise doing a very thorough scan for rootkits, trojans,
    backdoors, and spam, or hacking scripts which could already be deployed on the server.

#4 Spiral, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009