The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPanel Error Changing Password

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knightsfield1, Oct 30, 2003.

1. knightsfield1

knightsfield1 Member

When I try to change a password through cpanel I'm getting the following error:

spawn /usr/bin/passwd
    Changing password for user brech.
    passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

logging on using ssh and running passwd as the user brech (or any standard user) produces the same error.

logging on as root and doing a passwd brech works fine.

I'm running WHM 8.5.4 cPanel 8.5.4-R7

Doing a strace while the user brech is running passwd i get a lot of:

31306 nanosleep({0, 1000000}, NULL) = 0
    31306 open("/etc/.pwd.lock", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT, 0600) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

just before:

31306 write(2, "passwd: Authentication token man"..., 48) = 48

So it looks like the file .pwd.lock can't be open when passwd is run by a user other than root. I have tried deleting the file .pwd.lock and running passwd again and still get the same error.

Anyone any ideas why this happening

2. blaze64

blaze64 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have the same problem. But I have found that it is actually on certain skins, not all skins. And I have narrowed it down to the main header file for that skin.

If you take out the <cpanel include="../header.html"> tag, it works as it should.

I got this particualr skin from cpskins.com and their support is so poor I am just fixing it myself. I have had a ticket in with them for about 10 days and no reply...:(

3. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

If doing passwd via SSH as the user instead of root gets the .pwd.lock error in strace it is a system issue not a cpanel or cpanel skin issue. Kudos on using strace to see why passwd flops BTW!

Its odd that passwd can't create a file in /etc/ that doesn't exist already... anyone else ever see this , and more importantly resolve it so passwd via SSH as the user can work?

4. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

/usr/bin/passwd needs to be -r-s--x--x