The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPanel escape codes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mark54321, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Mark54321

Mark54321 Registered

Hi

I don`t know if this is the correct place to post this question, but would someone please help?

I was wondering if any one knew the escape codes for the following in CPanel: a space, a comma and & symbol? It would be handy if anyone would also be able to post a link to a website with these codes and any others.

I was trying to create redirects within CPanel, but apparently CPanel does not recognise spaces etc in the redirects page.

Many thanks
    Mark

2. shashank

shashank Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    "redirects within CPanel" ? I am not sure what you are trying to do. What kind of redirects are those ?

3. Mark54321

Mark54321 Registered

Redirects

It is called `Redirects` under the `CPanel X` frontpage. It is to enable redirecting of web pages, for example if you typed `www.user.co.uk/page1` and wanted it to go to (redirect to) `www.user.co.uk/page1.htm` except that it doesn`t work if the web page has a space in the address.

Thanks
    Mark

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

You might want to try encoding URLs in the same way that your browser would do, that is replacing a space with %20 and so forth.

This is just a guess, but possibly correct URL encoding would do the trick. If so, you can replace any character in a URL with %XX, where XX is the hexidecimal representation of the character's ASCII code.

5. Mark54321

Mark54321 Registered

I have tried %20 to replace the space in the address and it doesn`t work. I am not sure where to find a list of codes to replace such things as spaces in an address, but clearly %20 doesn`t do the trick. I found a list of %xx (where xx represents the hex code for the character), but was unable to get that to work either. As I said in a previous forum entry, the redirect seems to work as long as such things as spaces, commas and & symbols are NOT in the address.

I have read in other forums problems with CPanel and Redirects where spaces are in the address and no one seemed to have an answer.

6. Mark54321

Mark54321 Registered

Apparently this whole issue has something to do with mod_redirect. I have been informed by my hosting company of the following,

"The redirect is working correctly however you can not leave the .htm off the end of the page as this when used with mod_redirect and file names with spaces will confuse the server."

A strange answer when you think that all my other redirects (that work) have .htm missing and they all work. However none work with spaces.

Can anyone shed some light on this or will I have to simply remove the spaces from my URL address?

#6 Mark54321, Sep 5, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2005