The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel/Exchange email issues

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by CPSAdmin, Aug 19, 2006.

1. CPSAdmin

CPSAdmin Registered

I've go an unusual situation...I have about 10 domains on a dedicated server. 4 of them have DNS pointing to an exchange server where all email is routed for those domains. The remaining domains have email accounts established and setup through cpanel. When emailing from these cpanel email addresses to one of the exchange managed domain email addresses, it gets trapped in the default root mailbox for the recipient domain. Any thoughts toward solution are greatly appreciated?

2. globule

globule Member

Try removing the domains that have separate email servers from /etc/localdomains on your cPanel box. You may need to retstart Exim after doing this, I can't remember.

I had to do this for pretty much the same scenario you have and it worked a treat.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You don't need to restart exim. However, after removing the domains from /etc/localdomains you should add them to /etc/remotedomains (create that file if necessary) otherwise cPanel will put them back into localdomains.

4. CPSAdmin

CPSAdmin Registered

How do access that file?

This sounds like it might work. I am just not sure how to get to that folder. I've no experience beyond the easy to use cpanel interface with links to what I am trying to do and so forth. Our dedicated server is hosted by burst.net. If you point me in the right direction, I'm sure I could manage that small change. Additionally, I though it important to mention that two of the domains with email managed through exchange have web pages established on the dedicated server. By making the change from local domain to remote domain will this interfere with those webpages displaying properly.
    Thanks bunches,
    Melissa

5. GeekPatrolMille

GeekPatrolMille Well-Known Member

No, it will not be a problem so long as your DNS is pointing to your web server for everything except for mail. The localdomains/remotedomains files are used by Exim. This is a very over simplified answer. If you have additiona questions, please ask.

-greg