The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel / Exim Unusual Behavior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ali, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I’m running the latest Release build (WHM 10.6.0 cPanel 10.6.0-R158) + exim-4.52-7 on Fedora Core 3. For some reason the View Relayers in WHM shows that the emails for Domains have been relayed by user “cpanel” instead of the Domains true user. I know this maybe the case when using web-mail but not with Email Clients but yet the stats show "cpanel".

Another issue is that one of the users is complaining that it takes too long to send emails (90 Seconds to 2 Minutes :().

I think there is a bug as nobody@hostname.domain.com are being sent to root which is resulting to users emails ending up on the root forwarded mailbox.

The other issue is a user has selected Default emails to be sent to an address which doesn’t exist :confused: however all those emails are going to nobody@hostname.domain.com which in turn goes to root.

I’ll appreciate everyones input on this.

Thanks !

#1 Ali, Sep 5, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Have you considered the possibility that no other relaying is taking place?

If users, through their email clients, choose to use SMTP authentication, they won't be relaying.

In what way have you tested this? Have you tried sending emails to see how long it takes? If, when testing, you find that emails don't take too long there are only a couple of possible reasons, both client related: 1 - your client is on a slow or unreliable Internet connection, 2 - the route that data travels to get from your client to your server is congested somewhere.

Check WHM > Server Contacts > Change System Mail Preferences to see where you have set nobody's mail to go.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if something that seems unexpected happens if a user does this!

3. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

My other cpanel boxes have the same configuration (with SMTP authentication requirement) before allowing relay and show relay stats correctly.

I have tried that on my end and it works just fine. :confused:

Its blank.

:D

4. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

Can someone please help me stop 'nobody' email forwards. In WHM System Mail Preferences its blank yet it says 'currently being forwarded to '.

How do I reject emails for users who have exceeded their email quotas ?

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can set the nobody's email to :blackhole: I believe, but you are of course depriving yourself of legitimate bounces.

You can reject email to full mailboxes with WHM > Exim Configuration Editor > Discard emails for users who have exceeded their quota instead of keeping them in the queue

6. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I want the bounces to go back to the senders and not myself (like it used to in earlier versions of cpanel and/or exim).

It seems to discard mails ( something like :blackhole: ) whereas I would like to reject it with a error to the sender that mailbox is full.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

They can't. They're bounces coming back from email sent out by scripts where the recipients do not exist. They have to be delivered somewhere (as per the RFC's) and as such the nobody's email should be set up as a valid email address. The only way around that is for the php scripts to be modified to correctly set the From: and Return-Path: header records or to switch to using phpsuexec.

8. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

:blackhole: doesnt seem to work for nobody forwards :confused:

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Then just set it to be empty.

10. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I tried that before using :blackhole: - no luck :(

11. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Last idea, set it to /dev/null

12. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

No luck. What file do I need to touch to set this from shell ?