The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Failed Services

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deanhales, Sep 21, 2010.

1. deanhales

deanhales Registered

Hello,

I've installed cPanel on two VPS's (both different providers) and I'm still noticing that two services (Named & IMAP) are failing at startup. I opened chkconfig --list and noticed both of the services are switched off. My question is are they meant to be switched off by default? :confused:

Cheers

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Which specific services are off? named should be on, but there are a few different IMAP services that may be installed on a Red Hat/CentOS server. Are you using Courier-IMAP or Dovecot?

Either Courier-IMAP or Dovecot, as well as named, should be set to start in runlevel 3, as in this case:

Code:
    # chkconfig --list named
    named          	0:off	1:off	2:off	3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off
    # chkconfig --list dovecot
    dovecot        	0:off	1:off	2:on	3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off
    You did not mention which IMAP service you had checked with chkconfig, so I just wanted to clarify that only Courier-IMAP or Dovecot, but no other IMAP service that may be installed, should be set to start on boot.

3. deanhales

deanhales Registered

My VPS had dovecot and named installed and it was configured to not start at boot by default. Once I installed cPanel it detected that dovecot was installed and set it to the default mail server option. All I had to do was select the mail server Courier at cPanel setup. As for named I just turned it on at chkconfig.

Thanks for your help anyway :D