The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel Fantastico Update?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bpat1434, Oct 2, 2004.

?

Add SMF to Fantastico?

1. Absolutely!!

66.7%
  2. Why not...

13.9%
  3. Don't need to...

16.7%
  4. No. YaBBSE is fine!

2.8%
  1. bpat1434

bpat1434 Well-Known Member

I have noticed that cPanel hasn't put out an update to their fantastico. This presents a problem to me because I'm using lots of fantastico features (mainly web-forums and picture galleries). I have noticed that the YaBBSE Forums are not supported anymore. I do know that the YaBBSE team has developed a much better web-forum script. It's called Simple Machines.
    Simple Machines Forums

I'm using them on two servers now, and I love it. I was wondering if cPanel development team would mind putting out an update to Fantastico that either ADDS or REPLACES YaBBSE with SMF (Simple Machines Forum).

If you want to see these boards in action, go here:
    UMBC Mama's Boys Forums
    Ridge Swim Club Forum

~Brett

2. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

Fantatsico

1) Fantastico is owned by cpanelthemes.com
    2) it is crappy because people have to fix teh encoder once a day in some cases.
    3) its crap because you have to pay for something you have to fix
    4) if your referring to the scripts library in cpanel go to http://openinstaller.com (more scripts for the addon scripts library there).
    5) if you wish to install it get my script from http://cpscripts.info

Regards,
    Brent

3. cguimont

cguimont Well-Known Member

fantastico is ridiculous sometimes...
    For example, if you go and install Gallery , Well this script don't need any SQL databases but, Fantastico will create a db for that Gallery, even if it's not needed.

Usually, it is soo true that you install a script , then you have to finish manually because it didn't do anything. All it does is that it makes the link from SQL to the php app.

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    1) Never had any issues with any of the apps of Fantastico.
    2) As for the encoder issue, blame cPanel for that one. (plus a simple cronjob ensures this is not an issue)

5. AlphaWebspace

AlphaWebspace Well-Known Member

I would love to see what Kosmo is gonna pull in Version 3.0.0 small talks about it. :D

6. kosmo

kosmo Well-Known Member

Probably just more crap (I don't want to hurt brent123) :D

kosmo

7. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Ah true, but I still say cPanel should be a little more stable themselves to avoid 3rdparties from having to constantly jump through hoops after each cpanel release. What makes cPanel worth it is also the 3rdparty addons available.

8. kosmo

kosmo Well-Known Member

thaphantom,

you use control-C to copy text in Windows. If a future version of Windows drops this feature and replaces it (say) with Control-Shift-8, then your program will stop copying text. If Microsoft will warn developers, then developers have to take care and update their programs. If Microsoft does not warn, then you have to find out by using the "receive angry customers reports" method.

It is simple as that. While CPanel is a great control panel (and Fantastico is only possible because CPanel is great), most of the times there is a lack of communication and changes just happen without us having any prior notice. In such cases we just go hunting to find out what has changed.

Example:
    We searched for days what the reason for this could be until we found out that the error occured when a file was named *.php but it didn't occure when the same file was named *.html. Then another customer (tomsyer) found the exact reason:

It is very easy to name the work of devoted people "crap", "ridiculous" or (as you did) "poor of a program". It seems however to be very difficult to develop something better and exactly this is the reason why 11,500+ webhosts prefer the original (Fantastico) over any other similar solution.

kosmo

9. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

I as well don't have any problems with Fantastico products.

10. blikhost

blikhost Member

I don't have any issues with Fantastico either. When I do have an issue with it, I look it up on the forums and fix it. Very simple. :rolleyes:

11. Edizon

Edizon Well-Known Member

I for one like Ksomo's crappy software. After all I believe he was the one to pioneer the idea anyhow. Now there is quite a selection of auto-installing software for Cpanel that helps us in so many ways.

I really do agree that 3rd party profited software should make a routine of keeping thier software up to date with Cpanel. Of course that is not always an easy task with the ever changing Cpanel. We all know by updating we can expect a little work to be followed.

bikhost took the words right out of my ...ummm.. keyboard. Usually you kind find almost any answer to your problems via Cpanel Forums. You can find ANYTHING! Well expect a women, life or prosperity...

Kudos to Kosmo!

12. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/etc/ixed doesn't have one a decoder for 4.3.8 .. sourceguardian doesn't seem to offer them on their site anymore so it hasn't been possible for cpanel to update them.

All their downloads appear to be win32 files!

http://www.sourceguardian.com/downloads/index.php?ver=pro

13. kosmo

kosmo Well-Known Member

14. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

15. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

I was looking at their downloads page.. a link in the main area on their would have made them much easier to find.

Anyways, 4.3.8 support has been added to edge

16. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

Thanks Nick, looks good to me.

17. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I like Fantastico a lot. Used it for a very long time.

My only desire is that kosmo switch his source encoding to something that is more friendly, like Ioncube or Zend. This owuld prevent the only real bug that I know of, even if it is theoretically cPanel's fault.

(Personally, I too am of the mind that if a company has 11,500 paying customers, that they could afford to keep this from happening.)

18. kosmo

kosmo Well-Known Member

GotHosting

- 11.500 licenses does not equal 11.500 customers (although this is unrelated).
    - other decoders have exactly the same or even more problems (like Zend) when running files through cpanel. This has been explained many times in our forums but I don't have any URL handy. There is a difference if you run a file through port 80 (regular php) or through the cpanel ports (cpanel pre-parsing, copying of the parsed file to /tmp, then running the /tmp/*.php file). This is why the /ixed files have to be placed at /tmp, then all problems disappear.

kosmo

19. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You know, I had not considered that part, but I see your point, the decoders have to be installed in such a way that cpanel would allow access to them. A bit different than installing ioncube dynamic loaders on a domain.

Could you install Ioncube loaders in a skin directory, and then link to them much the same way that fantastico is installed?

20. kosmo

kosmo Well-Known Member

Zend, ioncube and SG decoders will work (theoretically) if you place them into /tmp as this is the "current working directory" when you run cpanel files. However I couldn't manage ioncube to decode my files properly and Zend produced parse errors with files that worked fine when encoded with SG.

kosmo