The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel & Firewall

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dragonengineer, Feb 26, 2005.

1. dragonengineer

I am setting up CPanel on Fedora 2 for the sole purpose of web hosting. Do I need to enable the Fedora 2 firewall? If yes, what should be the firewall setting for it?

Thanks,
    DE

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I would opt to use just IPtables with a frontend such as APF ( http://www.rfxnetworks.com ) if you are uncomfortable with using IPtables at the command line. If you have a look at the cpanel faq, you will see a list of ports you need to open for cpanel systems.

Off topic rant...
    Why oh why fedora core ? ( fedora core 2 is End of Life in March btw ).

3. dragonengineer

off topic rant

Latest Fedora core release supported by Cpanel is Fedora 2 which is the reason for me using it (I am new to Linux so need low risk solution with lots of support :)

If I turn off the Fedora 2 firewall, will Cpanel do protection for web sever?

Thanks,
    DE

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

To be quite honest your digging yourself a very deep whole using fedora, especially as a new user. The Fedora OS, is a test bed for Redhats enterprise linux OS. That is to say, they use their fedora core OS to test out new packages and play around with things, that might end up making your life a living hell. That and there is no official support for fedora ( other than forums and mailing lists ). If you need true hand holding support you may want to go for redhats enterprise OS. If you can't foot the bill for that, you may also want to try running CentOS.org. CentOS is exactly the same as Redhat Enterprise linux, except for removed copyrighted and trademarked work. They also have a very friendly community of people that are willing to help out those in need.

Absolutely not. Cpanel has nothing to do with the administration of your server, it only helps make the account setup process easier and more user friendly. You should not EVER consider cpanel as a drop in replacement for educated a system administrator.