The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel FreeBSD?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by boatdesign, Dec 10, 2003.

1. boatdesign

boatdesign Well-Known Member

As many others are probably doing right now with RH's EOL rapidly growing near for the versions we are comfortable with, I'm exploring the idea of switching to FreeBSD.

How does cPanel support for FreeBSD compare to RedHat 7/9? Are there features that do not exist or do not work as well for FreeBSD at the current time?

#1 boatdesign, Dec 10, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  2. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

Not to bring cPanel down but WHM/cPanel on a FreeBSD box was a nightmare.

I personally found it hard to administrate, as it breaks the normal hier() i was used to, and some newer things that were fixed faster in Red HAts version were a bit behind on FreeBSD.

Overall, it was okay i guess.

3. boatdesign

Can you elaborate a bit - I'm still trying to find out if there is a way to do a local cPanel test install, but in the meantime I'm curious about the differences in what cPanel allows you to administrate on FreeBSD vs. Redhat or any more details on the differences you might be willing to elaborate on.

4. boatdesign

I'm surprised this didn't get much response at all.

Are that few people using the FreeBSD version? I seem to see many threads on the web hosting forums with general statements like "cPanel does have some problems meshing with FreeBSD" or "cPanel runs better on Linux than FreeBSD still" but I am unable to find many details at all on what the limitations might be of cPanel on FreeBSD.

Any specifics would be much appreciated.

5. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I've been using cPanel with FreeBSD 4.7 the past 6 months and haven't really had any problems.. The only thing that really bothers me is that cPanel tends to spend 95% of the time working on updates to the Red Hat version.

6. rmadmin

rmadmin Member

I'm running cpanel on free bsd 5.1-p11. I have had only 1 major problem with it since I got it installed. Exim and Rsync farked up somehow and decided to core dump all the time. Removing the package and reinstalling from ports fixed this. Only difference I've noticed (though there are more) is that cpanel users aren't chrooted in freebsd (are they in RH? I think they are), and you can't change a user's username in the WHM. But *shrugs* depends how many of the features you use. For me, it does what I want.

Then again, I'm a simple guy when it comes to software. Why have a porche when my Honda will get me to work just fine? :)

7. boatdesign

Thanks rmadmin - I really appreciate the reply.

I agree - a chrooted environment would be a great feature and definitely a selling point. But from this poll I get the impression that cPanel doesn't create chrooted accounts even on a RedHat machine. I think this is the only single selling point for me of Ensim Pro :(

8. boatdesign

Thanks Jeff75 - appreciate the insight. I guess if there are no problems though, you could say the inverse: maybe the FreeBSD version is more problem free and simply requires less updates than the RedHat version to keep it working? ;) I don't really demand that many features, so if it is stable and secure, less updates means less time spent updating...

Are any major features available in the RedHat version that are not available in the FreeBSD version?

Do FreeBSD security patches ever break cPanel and leave FreeBSD users waitingon cPanel to release a patch with their systems either vulnerable to a known exploit or partially broken by a FreeBSD or port security patch?

9. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

Tumbs up

I have been working on FreeBSD since RH closed down support for there free linux, and it is true it was bad in the begining.

Now cpanel is realy doing something with the FreeBSD version and most bugs are been taken care of - I think soon it will be one of the better alternatives for WHM

Good work cpanel!