The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPanel, FTP, WHM, password issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dcrouch, May 19, 2005.

1. dcrouch

dcrouch Active Member
    PartnerNOC

For some reason on multiple servers we are unable to login via CPanel, FTP, and WHM. During one case root was denied, and restarting cpanel seemed to fix this for the root account; however, a select few accounts still are unable to login. We have attempted to change the password multiple times to fix this issue, but are still where we have started.

2. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Does the contents of /etc/shadow "look ok" (i.e. all lines look similiar)?

3. dcrouch

dcrouch Active Member
    PartnerNOC

About 5% of the accounts look like this
    (account name masked with few other changes) d%#$$##n:$1$R38mhslx$K4vCFB7/hc.jdaputbSFC.:12922::::::

the rest look like this
    (account name and number changed) mawbsa10:!!:19982::::::

A few values were masked to protect users. Any suggestions?

4. richy

richy Well-Known Member

You've got corruption in that file, you may want to try changing the passwords of the "blank password" users (the long "$1$R38mhslx$K4vCFB7/hc.jdaputbSFC" type string is the encrypted password - so those users are "OK") or restoring that file from backup. If changing the password won't work, you may notice that the file is "severly corrupted" in that Linux can't find the appropriate markers in the file - if you check where the passwords go from "being in the file" to "being blank", you should still a very odd line indeed. If you remove/fix that very odd line, things should start working (I would still recommend restoring from a backup of that file if possible).

5. susheel

susheel Registered

Cpanel Logging problems

Hi,
    I am facing a problem while logging to 2083. I can create a domain using web host manager on 2087, but when i try logging to cpanel at 2083 with the created domainuserid and password, i am unable to do so. I can log in to FTP though. Please suggest what could be the issue?

Awaiting,

Susheel

6. bijo

bijo Well-Known Member

Hello,

The port :2083 is used to login to a secure domain. If you want to use this feature, you should install SSl on that domain.