The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel Full Backup - no restore option??

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by zotti, Feb 24, 2011.

1. zotti

zotti Member

In Cpanel you can do Full Backup under your account, but when you want to Restore it, you CAN'T do full restore !!!
    So I was like freaking out, spending hours and hours to figure it out, but no way to do this. My client went crazy... and I had no explanation.

Cpanel folks you tell me how do you do FULL restore when you have full backup created from Cpanel ?

2. MattLee

MattLee BANNED

Hello,

cPanel 'Full Backups' can only be restored via root WHM or root level SSH for security purposes. This will require manual intervention on behalf of your client when they need an account restored. It's not possible for a user to do this on their own without this level of access.

It's important to note that if they are only restoring files from their public_html folder that they should be able to upload the backup file, untar it and then have access to the files within without using the restore process.

3. zotti

zotti Member

Then why, please tell me why is it possible to do full backup on your own, but you can't do restore ???
    It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

4. MattLee

MattLee BANNED

Hello,

I'd assume this functionality is in place for users so that they have the ability to move between cPanel hosts using a full backup without requiring the intervention of the host that they are leaving. It's also much less of a security problem to allow users to package their own account then it would be to allow them to restore over it using a full backup.

5. zotti

zotti Member

Yeah then you forget to mention one small detail your host charges for this service of backup. So again it makes NO sense to not allow this. Instead I have to pay, and wait for 1-2 days to get backup from host. First of all you can't find any explanation about it, so you WASTE hours and hours trying to figure this out how to Restore... and then if you're a Reseller you can't do Restore also, but you have clients who wants IMMEDIATE explanations, but you can't give one, because CPanel folks decided not to offer Full Restore....
    Too much time wasted, too much problems.
    Either don't offer full back or if you do then give Full Restore option too. One without other make no logical sense !

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This would be a security measure to prevent anyone maliciously restoring data over an account in cPanel, since allowing a full backup to be restored by the user in a file uploaded into /home/username location would allow someone with possible user only shell, FTP or cPanel access to overwrite the data for that account. At that point, they might even restore a bad copy of the account purposely with hacked content. The interface is only in WHM to restrict access for restores.

We allow making full backups for the purpose of allowing the account to have access to back up data in case the host isn't providing that service. Again, as previously noted in this thread, we do not allow restores for cPanel level access because of security reasons.

As for resellers, at this time only providing the "Root Access" level privilege to a reseller would add the Backups area to WHM for that reseller based on the ACL lists I tested in WHM > Resellers > Edit reseller privileges & nameservers area. If you would like to request this feature to be added for reseller access without needing full WHM root access privileges, please post this to our feature request forum:

Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM

You might also like to request the Transfers area to be another option for resellers without root access to WHM, since normally it is easier to transfer an account from a cPanel machine to a new cPanel machine over trying to obtain a backup file for the account in the first place. We do have the WHM > Transfers > Copy an account from another server with account password option for root WHM and reseller with root access to WHM.