The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPANEL full backup??

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by ed.kalk, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ed.kalk

ed.kalk Well-Known Member

How do I do a full backup of everything.
    accounts, MAil, configs, even the exim advanced configs...everything i need to restore the entire server from a fresh install...

:confused:

#1 ed.kalk, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. nxweb

nxweb Active Member

You could accomplish this either by making cpanel backups of all the sites on the server, and re-installing them on the new server. Or you could use rsync to move everything over to the new server (my preferred method).

3. ed.kalk

How does one do it with rsync?

4. sirotex

sirotex Well-Known Member

Lol? Omg..SERIOUSLY google tutorials, these kind of questions are just using up peoples time...

If you do not know how to use rsync i suggest you just do a cPanel backup.

WHM > Backup > Configure Backup

5. ed.kalk

That's not what I meant.

Thanks for the rude comment.
    I am asking for more information as to what directories and what not needs to be Rsynced... Sorry that I was not more clear the first time.

6. Sean.barron

Sean.barron Active Member

I would suggest you to take backup through Cpanel.By following the below steps you can easily generate the backup:-

1) To access the Backup Menu,WHM > Backup > Configure Backup

2) Click on Generate/Download a Full Backup

3) Now select the path of a folder on which you want to save the backup from the drop box next to Backup Destination:

4) Enter your email address in the field next to Email Address:. An email will be sent to this address when the backup is completed.

5) If you are backing up to a remote server, place the server's name, your username, and your password on that server in the appropriate fields.

6) Click on Generate Backup to start the backup process.

7. ed.kalk

Mine is not like that

Under whm>backup>configurebackup, I do not have generate / download backup. Instead I have this

Configure Backup
    Backup Status Enabled
    Disabled
    Restore Only
    Backup Interval (Note: Selecting Daily backup will give you Monthly and Weekly as well unless you choose not to retain them below. Selecting Weekly backup will give you Monthly as well unless you choose not to retain them below.) Daily Weekly Monthly
    Backup Retention Daily Weekly Monthly
    Days to Run Backup Sunday
    Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Remount/Unmount Backup Drive (requires a separate drive/coda/nfs mount) Enabled Disabled
    Bail Out If Backup Drive Mount Fails (Recommended if Remount/Mount set) Enabled Disabled
    Incremental Backup (only backup what has changed. (**No Compression**, not compatible w/FTP backups) Enabled Disabled
    Backup Accounts Enabled Disabled
    Backup Configuration Files (not needed for account restoration) Enabled Disabled
    Backup SQL Databases (at least "Per Account" is needed to use the restore feature) Per Account Only
    Entire MySQL Directory
    Per Account and Entire MySQL Directory
    Backup Access Logs Enabled Disabled
    Backup Type Standard
    Remote FTP (Accounts Only)
    Remote FTP Host (Remote FTP Backup Only)
    FTP Backup User (Remote FTP Backup Only)
    FTP Backup Password (Remote FTP Backup Only)
    FTP Backup Directory (optional, a directory called cpbackup in the FTP account's directory root will be used if none specified)
    examples: /home/fred/cpbackup, /backup/cpbackup, /files/cpbackup) (Remote FTP Backup Only)
    FTP Backup Passive Mode (required if you are behind a firewall or FTP backups fail) Enabled Disabled
    Backup Destination (this should be a directory/NFS/Coda mount with at least twice the space of all your /home* partitions. Setting this to /home is a very bad idea.)
    Select Specific Users

I have used this to do a full backup to the directory specified which is a directory on the local machine. I then wrote a shell script for rsync to sync the dir to my workstation for backup.

This does accomplish my goal of backing up the machine.

I was wondering if restoreing from these backup files would 100% duplicate my original machine, or if there were other files or configs that I might be missing afterward...

8. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

hi,
    you should consider searching forum for server migration.
    there have been many expert threads which can walk you through the entire process.

The generate backup option "Sean.barron" was refering to should be in user cpanel and not root WHM.

Whm will let you specify what type of back up you wish to run for the server, however if you wish you can use the copy account from another server option from your new server, which will actually login to your accounts/server on old server, will package the account and move it to your new box.

9. ed.kalk

Thanks

Thank you for all your help in this